Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Vulnerability When Online?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

I have a PC that has been completely off-line for the past couple of months.  If for any reason I need to go online in the future, I'll obviously update my antivirus straightaway. 

My question: by simply connecting to the Internet -- but not opening any browsers -- how vulnerable is my PC while I'm waiting for my antivirus to update itself? (Using Defender, Firewall, and a router).

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

How do you connect your PC to the Internet? Via a NAT router/modem?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Since you are behind a firewall and router, you should be okay.

#4 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

Windows Defender and firewall is defaulted to ON at all times unless you are using another real-time AV suite. If you make sure to update straight away as soon as you go online on a safe page, chances of you picking up malware will be negligible to zero.

Edited by robby501, 02 May 2016 - 06:01 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#5 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

How do you connect your PC to the Internet? Via a NAT router/modem?

It's a Belkin Wireless N Router.  Also should have mentioned that the OS is Win 8.1, if that's relevant.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,674 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

OK, so you're using NAT, this means your machine doesn't have a public IP address, and is not directly accessible from the Internet.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

To sum up, then: so long as I update my antivirus the moment I log on (before doing any web surfing), my chance of getting hacked is extremely low?

Edited by zombiewhacker, 04 May 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

...update my antivirus the moment I log on (before doing any web surfing)...

That would be wise.

#9 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

To sum up, then: so long as I update my antivirus the moment I log on (before doing any web surfing), my chance of getting hacked is extremely low?

It seems pretty obvious that you are very worried about this whole logging-on and update issue. That's fine. But if I was in your shoes, I'd just try to relax a little. Obviously, you need to be online to update your Win Defender. Why not open your first tab on this forum....you aint gonna get a virus on BC! Then just go to Windows Defender via your Windows search box and do your updates.

After this, if you are still concerned you may have contracted malware in the meantime (unlikely - highly unlikely!) do a full Defender scan (once updated) and maybe even run a scanner like HitmanPro or Zemana which you can download from the Download forum on this site. These scanners offer a free trial for 30 days with the option to upgrade and are fantastic tools in searching for and eliminating malware....and bringing about peace-of-mind, too!

Edited by robby501, 04 May 2016 - 04:14 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#10 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:25 AM

Well, I'm really not that worried anymore... you guys have given me peace of mind.  :thumbup2:

Thanks to all for your advice.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,674 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

You're welcome.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users