Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop battery keeps burning out. Voltage mismatch puzzle.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

I have a Toshiba A105-S4094. I've had two batteries blink out on me. The computer gets turned off. The next day when I try to use it, the battery is "open"; meaning no voltage or current flows from it's contact bars. It won't respond even when plugged in. It's open circuit.

This computer has specified on it, as clear as can be "15 volts". But on ebay, every battery I can find that claims compatibility with the A105-S4094 is rated 10.8 or 11.1 volts. The charger, which is an after-market replacement, also is stamped "15 volts".

What is going on?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old Feller

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 May 2016 - 05:31 PM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I think you may have a defective charging circuit on the motherboard. On my HP laptop the charger is 18.5V and the battery is 11V. 

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Thanks John. Is there any way to confirm that?

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

Do you know how these batteries are built? I'm wondering what it is inside that could "open". Must be some sort of overload switch, thermal switch or fuse, I expect. But it's so strange that it happens when the laptop is shut down. Whatever it is, it opens and never closes the circuit again (unless there is something completely different happening).

O_F

Edited by Old_Feller, 03 May 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

I believe there is a chip in the batteries that notifies the OS how much charge state is left and also at one point it will refuse to recharge the battery. I don't know of any way of resetting the chip though.

http://superuser.com/questions/548366/reset-laptop-battery-data-or-interface-battery-chip

If you are on Windows 7 or later you can run this command. It will give you the state of the battery in a report.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7638/use-powercfg-in-windows-7-to-evaluate-power-efficiency/

If you have Windows 8 or later you can generate a battery report with this command at an elevated command prompt.

powercfg /batteryreport

http://www.howtogeek.com/217255/use-the-hidden-powercfg-tool-to-optimize-battery-life-on-windows/

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 May 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users