Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Ads by Provider" won't go away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frankajh

frankajh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

Hello. If none of you are aware of what "ads by provider" is, it's supposed to be this annoying malware that opens up random pop-up ads in your browser and somehow adds fake advertisement links to any texts on any webpages. But in my case it also significantly reduces my internet speed and somehow keeps coming back. It also hides somehow.

I've searched all over the web for any ways to remove it. I tried using Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner and a few other programs and they always seem to delete the thing, but it always comes back. And in no time, too. As of right now, this virus somehow finds its way back into my system every couple of days.

I said it hides, and what I mean is that in every removal guide I've seen so far, there seems to be a program associated with this virus that can be found via Control Panel. It could be called just Provider or it could be something different, but basically it's supposed to be an unwanted program that we never installed on our computer. Well, I've checked a number of times, via Control Panel and CCleaner, and there is NOTHING there. All the software I have ever installed on my pc was installed by me and it's all legit.

I operate on windows 7, I use ZoneAlarm security software with its built-in firewall and I'm starting to reconsider, since it never seems to notice that anything's wrong. I don't download shady programs off of shady sites, I don't torrent much, I clean, scan and defrag my computer regularly. I also use Adblocker, Ghostery and I'm smart enough not to click ads on the web saying "PLEASE CLICK HERE U R WINNER" or anything like that.

Funny thing is, I also have an old netbook with Windows XP that I use in quite the same way, also with ZoneAlarm, AdBlocker, I scan and defrag it also on a regular basis... And nothing ever touches it. It's old and slow, sure, but no viruses or malware ever pops up on it.

So, my question is: how does this thing keep coming back to my PC (I know, it probably wasn't ever completely removed or something) and how do I get rid of it for good? Do I just have to format the drives and get a new OS or is there any other way?

Please, PLEASE, someone help me, because I am so sick of this thing...

EDIT: now downloading Spybot, I'm going to give it a try and see if it finds anything.

Edited by frankajh, 02 May 2016 - 09:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Welcome, please try this Guide 1st.

Provider Ads and Best Web Removal Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 frankajh

frankajh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

Thank you. I have followed all the steps and so far it seems to have found and deleted some PUPs.

If it comes back, I'll post again I guess. But let's hope not :)

Thank you very much.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

You're welcome !!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users