Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard tweaking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ellianmckinlay

ellianmckinlay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:42 AM

Hi there, just bought a new Acer laptop in Spain.  There is no currency symbol for sterling. I loaded the Keytweak programme in the hope that i could easily change the keyboard but that doesn´t have a currency symbol either as far as I can see.  Does anyone have a solution to help me here?  Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iangh

Iangh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

In control panel/language add UK keyboard, then use shift-alt.

In Aus I have Aus keyboard as primary, UK as secondary. To write £, I shift-alt to use UK keyboard followed by shift-# to get £ symbol, then shift-alt to go back to Aus keyboard. I have a physical US keyboard layout. If I leave it in UK then my @ becomes a " and I get all confused. :scratchhead:

#3 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have had similar issues for quite a long time. I am in the UK where my best compromise is to set language to UK and keyboard to US, switching briefly to UK KB when I want the £ sign. But Shift Alt has no effect for me. Here is another quick way to switch between languages on my KB. Just to the left of the time and date at bottom right is a notification of your primary language and your keyboard, so in miy cast it is ENG US. If you press Windows Key and Space together you get a list of all the languages / Boards currently available on your system (you can add more in Settings).Hoding down the Windows Key while taping Space cycles through them, while lifting your finger from the Windows Key selects the highlighted combination, such as ENG UK. This only takes about a second to do, and to reverse it.

It is possible to opt for UK English combined with UK KB but it upsets several of my keys, such as @, ", \.. Another slight annoyance is that after a restart my KB automatically reverts to UK, so I start most sessions by selecting the US KB in the way discribed above.

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

I always use the US International keyboard.  It has all the symbols.  The £ is found by pressing right Alt key with the shift key, and the 4!

#5 ellianmckinlay

ellianmckinlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

I have had similar issues for quite a long time. I am in the UK where my best compromise is to set language to UK and keyboard to US, switching briefly to UK KB when I want the £ sign. But Shift Alt has no effect for me. Here is another quick way to switch between languages on my KB. Just to the left of the time and date at bottom right is a notification of your primary language and your keyboard, so in miy cast it is ENG US. If you press Windows Key and Space together you get a list of all the languages / Boards currently available on your system (you can add more in Settings).Hoding down the Windows Key while taping Space cycles through them, while lifting your finger from the Windows Key selects the highlighted combination, such as ENG UK. This only takes about a second to do, and to reverse it.

It is possible to opt for UK English combined with UK KB but it upsets several of my keys, such as @, ", \.. Another slight annoyance is that after a restart my KB automatically reverts to UK, so I start most sessions by selecting the US KB in the way discribed above.

Thank you for this, it sounds like you could be on to something here to help me.  Bottom right of my screen is the time and date and next to that Is a symbol which is for notifications.  There is nothing else which would relate to the primary language as you suggest.  There will no doubt be a way of setting that up.  I will look into that.  thank you for your help.

Thank you for this, it sounds like you could be on to something here to help me.  Bottom right of my screen is the time and date and next to that Is a symbol which is for notifications.  There is nothing else which would relate to the primary language as you suggest.  There will no doubt be a way of setting that up.  I will look into that.  thank you for your help.

#6 ellianmckinlay

ellianmckinlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thank you dhjohns for your response.  my issue is that my Spanish keyboard is very different - not only are the words in Spanish but there are extra letters such as ñ which means the keyboard layout is different.  I think I would need to put stickers over the keys to adopt your idea, or have I got that wrong?

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

I installed the US International Keyboard but I do not get the £ symbol using Shift Alt but only by selecting the ENG UK Keyboard and #.

The bottom right of my KB, reading right to left, has Time/Date, Language / Keyboard, Touch Keyboard symbol, Notification Symbol, Speakers, Wireless Connection symbol, Battery symbol. It is interesting to note the differences and I would be interested in finding out how to change the buttons, not that I am dissatisfied with them as they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users