Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If u buy Windows 10 home, does it unlock Windows 10 pro?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 kistonw

kistonw

• Banned
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

Cuz I don't think that's supposed to happen. Had suspicions of my comp infected, so i bought a windows 10 home usb. It's write protected, but apparently all I gotta do is right click it and open as a portable drive... Ever since my installs were funky I noticed it letting me choose whether to install Windows 10 home or Windows 10 pro. Whatever was infecting my computer before had infected the Windows 10 usb. I found a lot of scripts in power shell that seemed to be making programs and running bleep through the programs, then using scripts to delete the programs. A lot of bleep in task shceduler, running custom scripts all day making programs idle but changing the name from idle task to shut like "running scan". I believe the pic was syncing with a remote registry hive or something..

Rn just curious about the Windows home/pro thing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

To answer your question in the heading - no, if you buy Windows 10 Home it doesn't include a license for Pro.  When you boot from the USB, you may get an option to select whether you want to install W10 Home or Pro but that doesn't mean you can activate Pro.

From what I gather, you suspect your computer is infected because you observed some strange events.  If so, you should post in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.  Follow the Preparation Guide before you post.  If you cannot complete a step, skip it and move on to the other step.  Make sure you mention that the USB drive may also be infected when you plugged it into your computer.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Yes, if you buy the USB for Windows 10 home it does allow you to "open" up Windows 10 pro. This has happened to me several times. But without a proper license for Windows 10 pro, you will get reminders to upgrade and purchase a Pro license. You do have access to all of the Windows 10 Pro features but the "nagging" becomes progressively worse. But to answer your question, yes the option is always there but make sure you choose the option that you actually purchased.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

One of my hobbies is fixing computers and installing Windows 10. I just did another build yesterday and the option to choose between Home Edition and Pro Edition is always there. Just for laughs and giggles I chose Pro Edition this time. Lets see how long it will take before I start getting the nagging warnings.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

I don't know when the nags will start but it's a 30-day trial.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

I don't know when the nags will start but it's a 30-day trial.

I just Googled that and I could find no information regarding that anywhere. Do you have a link because I belong to a couple of Windows 10 Forums and a Microsoft club, and this is the first that we have heard of this.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

Traditionally, there was a grace period of 30 days before you need to provide a valid product key to activate previous versions of Windows.  However, it seems like I am wrong in assuming that this grace period extended to Windows 10.  According this Wikipedia entry...

In Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016, the 30-day grace period has been removed. If the operating system is not activated, there is a watermark showing the edition of Windows (although it does not show to activate) on desktop, personalization features (in PC settings [simply Settings in Windows 10], it is located under Personalize in Windows 8, under PC & devices > Lock screen in Windows 8.1, and under Personalization in Windows 10) are disabled. Entire Screen notification appears periodically, roughly once in 6 hours. However, the operating system otherwise functions normally.[citation needed]

As you can see, no citation to validate the above.  My own experience is this sort of information is very hard to come by.  Perhaps the author experienced similar difficulty.

Edited by Agouti, 04 May 2016 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users