Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATTACHING TOP PART OF A LAPTOP TO A DIFFERENT ONE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duncan1979

duncan1979

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

OK MAYBE THIS SOUNDS LIKE A STRANGE QUESTION BUT IS IT SAFE TO TAKE THE TOP PART OF A LAPTOP THAT INCLUDES THE SCREEN AND ATTACH IT TO ANOTHER LAPTOP  IF THEY'RE THE SAME MAKE/MODEL? WOULD IT MATTER IF THEY WERE DIFFERENT INTEL VERSIONS OR WOULD THIS MAKE NO DIFFERENCE? EG IF I TOOK  A DELL LAPTOP THAT WAS INTEL 7 AND JUST REPLACED THE TOP PART WITH THE TOP OF A DELL OF THE SAME MAKE THAT WAS INTEL 3, WOULD THIS CAUSE PROBLEMS - OR IS THE INTEL/GRAPHICS/SCREEN RESOLUTION AND ALL THAT STUFF JUST CONTAINED IN THE LOWER PART OF THE COMPUTER?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

If you are exchanging like for like, same part numbers and interface connections, it wouldn't hurt to try.  Different versions of OS shouldn't notice any difference if the hardware is the same.  Different levels of display controller for different processors on the MOBO may not be compatible with different display elements.  But if the display is all that is swapped, it should be okay.

#3 duncan1979

duncan1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:33 AM

The thing I was wondering is if it would affect the display - the computer I have has a bluray player and I was wondering if using the top part of  a computer with a different version of Intel might affect it or stop it working - if the screen resolution of the screen is the same, it won't make any difference, right?

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:06 AM

This may not be applicable to your problem, but:-

If you have 2 laptops, but only one with a blu-ray drive but which also has a broken screen, it would be simpler to swap over the blu-ray drive into the machine with the good screen - this generally only requires the removal of one screw & the drive then slides out.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users