Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows update is breaking my computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yrosx

yrosx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:31 PM

I'm currently running Windows 7 x64 Home edition. 

So this all started last night when I downloaded 8 Windows Updates. I hadn't installed any since the start of April since I have it set to check with me first, and it kind of slipped my mind.

So anyway, I went to bed and woke up this morning to a nightmare: "Reboot and select proper boot device. / Or select Boot Media in selected boot device." 

At first I figured it was my hard drive either screwing up or dying, so I plugged and unplugged everything, no dice. 

Made sure the correct boot order was in the BIOS, it was. 

My next course of action was to use my windows 7 installation disk and try the options there. The startup fix didn't work. Tried to do a system restore from a restore point, but it didn't work at all and gave me an error (I don't remember what the error was exactly, sorry! At that point I was pretty resigned to the fact that my SSD was dead). 

In the end I reformatted my SSD and restored from a (really old) system image - and from there, everything seemed to work perfectly. I downloaded 164 windows updates, installed them, restarted a couple of times. Worked fine. 3 more updates installed fine. Then the very last update installed, I restarted and got the very same error message that started this whole mess... I'm kicking myself for not taking note of the reference number of the update now, but I was reaally hoping that this was a one-off event. Pretty sure it was a security update.

Went to reformat the disk and restore from system image again, but this time it told me that my SSD and my system image were in different formats and I couldn't use it. Used a restore point (it worked this time) and suddenly I was able to use my system image again.

So now I'm here, and extremely reluctant to update Windows past those 167 updates, despite the fact that it's probably necessary. Is it possible that Windows update is breaking my computer, or might it be a coincidence? And if it definitely is Windows update, is there anything I can do short of making note of and never installing that particular update? 

Edited by yrosx, 01 May 2016 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

If you suspect an update broke your system, you could search and see if other users encountered the same problem.  That said, it won't be the first time a Windows update breaks users' systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users