If anyone can offer some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My 8440p randomly shuts off when it is on battery power. I realized it was due to it overheating as I ran some programs to test the temperature, and it averaged around 70 degrees Celsius. Plus the fan was running very fast, so it seems to be a heat issue. It won't shut off when plugged as easily, I think, because when it runs on battery the battery generates heat and adds to the over-heating issue. So I tried cleaning out all the vents and everything with a shop vac. It improved a bit but would still shut off. So then I took it apart to clean it with compressed air. I just watched a YouTube video on the disassembly of an 8440p so I could just follow the steps. They ended up taking off the the copper looking heat sink and fan together so I did too since I didn't really know what I was doing, lol. I then realized I would probably need to get some new thermal paste since I separated the CPU from the heat sink thing (sorry, don't know a lot about PCs and terminology yet). I don't know if the old thermal paste was actually the issue that was causing it to overheat. Because after taking the PC apart, it really didn't look too dusty around the fan and cpu. So maybe the thermal paste had just dried out a little too much and that was the issue? I don't know. I ended up cleaning off the old thermal paste from the CPU and heat sink with q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I have a few questions about this that I have indicated in the photos. Please look at the photos if you have time. The main questions being:
1) Do I need new thermal paste now?
2) If I do, is this one fine: http://www.microcenter.com/product/391499/15g_Metal_Oxide_Thermal_CPU_Paste_Compound
3) Do I need thermal paste anywhere else besides the CPU?
4) Do I need to disassemble this PC even further than I have already in order to clean it properly?
5) There are two adhesive flaps indicated in the photos. Do I need to remove these or should I leave them? One is torn
6) If you have time, please look at the attached photos as there are a few questions within them.
Thanks in advance guys! Any help is appreciated.