Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Elitebook 8440p Randomly Shuts Off - High Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amodoko

amodoko

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

If anyone can offer some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.  My 8440p randomly shuts off when it is on battery power.  I realized it was due to it overheating as I ran some programs to test the temperature, and it averaged around 70 degrees Celsius.  Plus the fan was running very fast, so it seems to be a heat issue. It won't shut off when plugged as easily, I think, because when it runs on battery the battery generates heat and adds to the over-heating issue.  So I tried cleaning out all the vents and everything with a shop vac.  It improved a bit but would still shut off.  So then I took it apart to clean it with compressed air. I just watched a YouTube video on the disassembly of an 8440p so I could just follow the steps. They ended up taking off the the copper looking heat sink and fan together so I did too since I didn't really know what I was doing, lol. I then realized I would probably need to get some new thermal paste since I separated the CPU from the heat sink thing (sorry, don't know a lot about PCs and terminology yet). I don't know if the old thermal paste was actually the issue that was causing it to overheat. Because after taking the PC apart, it really didn't look too dusty around the fan and cpu. So maybe the thermal paste had just dried out a little too much and that was the issue? I don't know. I ended up cleaning off the old thermal paste from the CPU and heat sink with q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I have a few questions about this that I have indicated in the photos. Please look at the photos if you have time. The main questions being:

1) Do I need new thermal paste now?
2) If I do, is this one fine: http://www.microcenter.com/product/391499/15g_Metal_Oxide_Thermal_CPU_Paste_Compound
3) Do I need thermal paste anywhere else besides the CPU?
4) Do I need to disassemble this PC even further than I have already in order to clean it properly?
5) There are two adhesive flaps indicated in the photos. Do I need to remove these or should I leave them? One is torn
6) If you have time, please look at the attached photos as there are a few questions within them.

Thanks in advance guys! Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

anywhere there was thermal paste it needs to be replaced, the "flaps" should remain intact as well, I wouldn't recommended any further disassembly as things could basically only get worse, typically disassembly should reserved for those who know what they are doing and what they will be looking at. the burn mark appears to be dust and potentially grease, unless of course it is indded a burn mark id recommend seeing if it can be polished off with a damp cloth. the grey squares im not sure what they are but I do know they are essential for the computer.

typically thermal paste acts as a bridge between a heatsink and a processor so anytime a heatsink is removed from the processor it is recommended to replace the thermal paste I typically use http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

#3 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

Okay thanks for the reply.  I don't mind taking some risks with taking it apart.  I'm kind of interested in learning and am willing to risk causing further damage.  The laptop wasn't really usable to me anyways since it would shut off from overheating.  So I will go and get some thermal paste then and reapply it to the CPU.  I believe the other area the heat sink attaches to is the GPU, the one with the grey flap that is torn.  Should I take off the flap there and apply thermal paste to replace the torn flap?  

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

the flap itself is more than likely to just prevent overage of thermal paste from getting onto other components, it could theoretically be removed but it does no harm or foul being torn IMO, usually the heatsinks are for the CPU and GPU and in some cases for memory modules but in this case it appears to just be the CPU and GPU

#5 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

Okay thanks, I'll definitely leave the black flap there then.  But you see the grey flap in the picture?  The one that is torn on top?  I believe that is a thermal pad for the GPU.  Can I just reuse that thermal pad?  Or does that need to be replaced?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users