Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I need to match up my VG Cards to on PSU's and Motherboards?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm hunting the right combo for as cheap as possible preferably used so I can keep it cheap and easy to replace.  

I want to put up 8 or 9 monitors on 1 to 3 PC's.  I know I need VG Cards to do this, but how do I know if the hardware can handle them?  What should I be looking for in the specs so I'm not under powered to handle 1, 2, or 3 VG Cards?  Watts, Ghz, or what?  

Thank you.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

You need to specify more carefully what kind of setup you want to have. Many AMD cards support up to 6 displays and with dual video cards, 12 displays should be possible, but connecting another PC's to them is different story.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

AMD has graphics cards which have dual output, quad output, and six output.  You can view these here.

The dual output costs around $120.  

The quad output runs between $158 and $258.

The six output runs between $495 and $3000  

You will need to find the power requirements for these cards so you will know if your current PSU has enough wattage and amperage on the 12V rail.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Those are way to expensive for this project.  I'm trying to keep prices as low as possible by using dated, used hardware.  

To answer DrillingMachine, I'm not trying to hook any PC's to each other.  I haven't been able to find anyone online that can understand what I'm talking about.  

I just need to be as cheap as possible and powering 8 or 9 monitors for simple stock trading charts.  I'd rather not buy anything new.  

Can some one just please tell me what kind of specs I need to look for on the Video Graphic Cards such as watts, GB's etc and match up with motherboards, CPU's, and PSU's.  I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't believe nobody else on the internet does either.  

If you know what you are doing, and you can picture what I'm trying to do, please advise.  I would appreciate your lesson very much.  

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

So what do you mean saying "cheap"? In case you have any Radeon card that supports 6 displays (like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7250x1gd5 ). You will also need MST hub like that http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXPYTAG/ref=twister_B01COOLXAK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 + 4 displays with displayport though.

Or you can buy card that supports 6 displays out of the box http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7EPSVS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=mmcdl-20

If those are still too expensive and you are prepared to mess with three graphic cards, buy three of those http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7250x1gd5

Handling three graphic cards on same machine can be problematic but at least that is cheap. Other requirements? PSU with three 6-pin PCI Express connectors (or use adapters). Motherboard with at least three PCI Express slots (if your graphic usage is light like 2D, eve PCI Express x1 connector is enough for all cards).

In all cases, your displays must match to video card connectors.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

And why you are actually making two threads for same topic? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612694/what-is-the-minimum-hardware-capacity-for-3-monitors/

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 May 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

This topic is closed. Please continue in the other topic(linked in the above reply) to avoid duplication and conflicting information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users