Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on installing windows to new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hello, i got a new hard drive on my hp laptop as the old one was failing. Its a ssd. I tried installing my other windows to it after i created a recovery disk and tried to reinstall it on new hard drive, but it gave me an error named:
UIA write failed 3 times

So i tried downloading a windows iso, and it said there is a problem with the key. i talked to a microsoft person, they said that it is probably a oem type which wont be able to download. So to avoid extra headaches i just got me another copy of windows 7, my old one is home premiun so i got professional edition

My question is, i did put the hp version of windows on it which i cannot install because of the uia error, do i have to reformat it completely before reinstalling the new windows 7 disk i bought?

If so, how do i do it? I cannot access windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Part of the installation process involves formatting the drive.  

You will need to set the BIOS boot order so the the optical drive is the first device and the ssd the second device, put the installation disc in the drive and restart the machine to make the installation.  

When the computer boots you will receive a message telling you to press any key to boot from the installation disc.  Follow the prompts from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Ok so all i need to do is just insert the disk and just follow the instructions of installing windows then?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

By default the BIOS lists the hdd/ssd as the first device in the boot order.  In order to boot from the installation disk you will need to change the order as I described previously.

You could Google Windows 7 installation instructions and find a number of good tutorials.  One that I feel is clear and concise is this one.  If you have never done the Windows 7 installation this will walk you through it with the images you will see from the installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Ok so all i need to do is just insert the disk and just follow the instructions of installing windows then?

Yes.  If you see any partitions, just delete them until the whole drive is empty space then select the empty space to install on.  Also, the BIOS on HP computers is already set to boot from the optical drive first, so you don't have to change the boot order.

#6 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Ok thank you. The disk should come friday so if i run into any problems i will ask them here then :)

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:54 AM

When the computer boots you will receive a message telling you to press any key to boot from the installation disc.  Follow the prompts from there.

To add to Arachibutyrophobia's good advice...........Only do that [Press Any Key To Boot From The disc] one time to start the install. DO NOT 'Press Any Key' again, when you see it, after the initial install starts. When Windows finally completes it's full installation you will be presented with the Desktop. You may then remove the disc from the DVD drive.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#8 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:12 AM

Ok i solved it easily myself. When i put in the disk, it showed ither partitions that was created so i deleted those easily. And now i got it :)

Although now im having another problem, my left speaker on the laptop doesnt work. Tried installing latest version of realtek driver and nothing, i think my speaker somehow went out. On headphones, both sides work fine

#9 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

..... my left speaker on the laptop doesnt work. Tried installing latest version of realtek driver and nothing, i think my speaker somehow went out. On headphones, both sides work fine

Reseat all connections.  Make sure balance is centered if present on speakers.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 06 May 2016 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users