Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Accidental Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Phaseus

Phaseus

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone. I'm here on behalf of my technically inept brother. His laptop accidentally updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now it has a flashing screen once the desktop has loaded. Google results generally talk about Video Drivers, but my brother is running AMD Radeon HD Integrated Graphics, which haven't really been updated for a while. Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers doesn't seem to fix the issue. I tried running in Safe Mode and it didn't really help either. The desktop itself is non-functional. Neither is the taskbar. I can open the task manager using CTRL+ALT+DEL and from there I can run cmd and any programs I know the filepath for.

After encountering the whole "Drivers are already up to date" issue, I decided to attempt a System Restore. My brother said he didn't update to Windows 10 on purpose and doesn't mind being reset to Windows 7, but after attempting System Restore, I was given a "System Restore has Failed" error. I tried again on the other restore point, and it went through, but the machine was still running Windows 10.

To sum everything up:

1.) Brother accidentally updated to Windows 10. (According to him it happened automatically.)

2.) On Windows 10, the Desktop screen flashes at regular intervals. Desktop icons are useless or don't show up at all. And the start menu/task bar don't respond.

3.) The laptop is an old HP Pavilion G7 from 2012. It has about 4 GB of RAM and an HD Radeon HD 6000 series graphics module.

4.) Tried updating drivers and uninstalling/reinstalling. They're up to date.

5.) Tried system restore twice. Once to C++ .NET framework update (x64) and once to C++ .NET Framework Update (x86). The (x86) restore finished, but not for the sake of rolling back the Win 10 update.

6.) Just to check, I also checked monitor and CPU drivers, no dice.

If you need anymore information, let me know and I'll do my best to provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

From the web: How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

QUOTE:

If you’ve upgraded a PC to Windows 10 — not performed a clean install, but an upgrade — you’ll have an easy option that lets you revert to the last version of Windows. To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.

If it’s been over a month — or if you’ve run the DIsk cleanup tool and removed the “Previous Windows installations” files or deleted the C:\Windows.old folder by hand — you’ll no longer see this option. Windows 10 appears to automatically remove the old Windows installation files after a month to free up space.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

See, I would do that, but the Windows Explorer doesn't respond, and trying to open the Control Panel with cmd doesn't work either. The desktop seems like it's constantly refreshing and the only windows that'll appear are the Command Line and Task Manager. I can open things like Internet Explorer if I use cmd to navigate to the IE .exe directory.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

Is there anything on that computer that he wants/ needs to keep? I'm thinking using a Repair Disk to reinstall Windows 7

using the Recovery software installed on the original hdd....if the original hdd hasn't been replaced.

If you don't have a Windows 7 Repair Disk you can make one easily on any other Windows 7 computer.

Create a system repair disc

Someone else may have a better idea....if so....please post it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

He does animations and gets paid to do them, so losing all that data sets him back about a month. It would have to be a last resort and nobody has a copy of Windows 7 in the house anyway.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

If you press the Windows Key + i simultaneously, does it open the Settings window?  If so, you should then be able to navigate to the "Go back" function.

#7 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

I tried that. Same issue with the Control Panel. The window shows up in Task Manager but it doesn't appear on the screen. Since it's Windows 10, there isn't a 'Switch To' option either.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

It is possible to recover data using a Live Linux CD, DVD or flash drive. If no one comes up with a way to

reinstall Windows 7 then that is an option to move data from the computer to an external medium such as a flash drive or hdd.

#9 Tomsonn

Tomsonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

It looks to me that your brother needs to re-install the Windows. You have followed every possible way. Now, only re-installing the Windows is remaining. 

#10 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

My brother said he backed up some important data to a flash drive. I'm going to go ahead and use the HP startup options to do a factory reset and hope it works. I'll report back when I get it finished later today.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

If the factory reset doesn't work, you can follow this article to download a Windows 7 ISO.  Scroll down to the section headed Download Windows 7/8.1 from The Windows 10 Download Page and follow the instructions.  Next, go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads and search for the same version of Windows.  Compare the SHA1 hash to make sure they match.

#12 Phaseus

Phaseus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

Just an update. Factory reset work, though he reports the computer is running slowly now. I suspect driver updates and basic windows updates. I'm not going to bother dealing with those right now. The problem cropped up because he had the most recent version of Windows 7 that kept prompting him to upgrade. Can anyone confirm that the issue was because his hardware wasn't compatible?

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

The computer's owner can use the info in link below to help him to determine if computer is compatible.

Will your PC run Windows 10? Use the official compatibility checker to find out | ZDNet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users