Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD/ Intel RAID volume failing but CHKDSK clean volume

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Gentlemen, 

I know I should read and followed the pinned piece before I asked for help, but given the emergency please excuse me,...here is what I encountered:

Blue Screen of death w/ description says uncorrectible hardware error, I guess that's truly bad. 

I did the memory test using sony vaio/ microsoft OEM, memory is good.

I did the system restore several times, although completed and says successful, but blue screen keep coming back.

I went ahead did the CHKDSK, took me 4 and half hours, found 1 bad cluster, but corrected it says, then when i reboot windows, Intel Matrix Storage Console pops up at lower right hand corner of computer, telling me  "a drive is failing, back-up asap; seems to me it's port 1.

I know I need to back up, but given this situation, does it mean i have no choice but to expect this solid state drive is dying and can't be repair??

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/msibanker/IMG_20160501_053325.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/msibanker/IMG_20160501_053312.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/msibanker/IMG_20160501_054004.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

Here is the spec of my laptop:

Sony VGN-AR770U Vista Ultimate sp2

Intel 2.6 Ghz

Solid State HDD 320GB set 2 partitions

did not installed any new stuff lately, ran Malwarebites anti malware, clean at safe mode. 

Many thanks

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

First things first - BACKUP your stuff!!!  Don't second guess this message unless you're willing to lose your stuff.

It may be likely that the SSD is dying, but it's going to take a while to diagnose it.  Meanwhile the chances of losing your data are great!

How many hard drives does this computer have?

Are they all SSD's?

System restore restores the system state, but doesn't reset the system (or did you do a reinstall of Vista?)

CHKDSK checks the file system on the hard drive

The hard drive controller controls both the hard drive/RAID and the DVD drive

The RAID controls how the hard drives work together to store data

And the hard drives store the data

So there's lot's of stuff to check here.

Next, there's not much in the way of tests available for SSD's

I suggest this test:  http://crystalmark.info/software/index-e.html

But it's not a full diagnostics - but it will give you the SMART attributes of the drive

SMART is a predictive technology - in other words, the SMART attributes can say that the drive may be failing, but they can't say that it has failed (or that it definitely will fail).

And, if you're getting BSOD's, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

First of all, thx for the reply...
My laptop has C and D drive, plus blu ray read and write drive.... most of my photos and documents are stored in another external drive thru USB, so only some movies and programs files and windows.... thus, back up is not an concern.
So, C and D drives, partitioned. Both i say SSD.
No, i did not reinstall Vista, i mean no clean reinstallation, just the system restore function using shadow copy restored to earlier date, this is a function came with vista.
I believe the drive is falling as it goes to blue screen although i can still boot up the hdd, it goes to BSOD say 15 mins, i am using my cell phone to reply you.
Not sure if i can do the 2 tests software download you asked.. but wil try...

#5 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

I ran 3 times BSOD Inspector, got blue screed in the middle,...unsuccessful, will keep trying.

Sysnative: got the .exe file and RAR file, not sure what to do with Rar file, here is the folder. 

Trying to run Perfmom...the cmd.exe...not sure i can complete as BSOD keeps cutting in...

Attached Files

#6 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

Some more...

Attached Files

#7 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

more...

Attached Files

#8 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

some more 

some more 

Attached Files

#9 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

The above are info inside the folder of Sysnative ( in my document folder)..problem is some did not let me post as you can see. 

#10 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

** Unable to generate the perform /report in DOS, it pops up in Reliability & performance screen in Vista,..."error occur while attemplting to generate the report !

#11 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

** Unable to finish BSOD inspector, BSOD keeps cut me in. 

Here is my e-mail address: Mod Edit:  Removed email address, protection from spambots - Hamluis.

if you/ anyone allow me to send the sysnative file thru e-mail, as some were block due to size.

I will now switch to cellphone to avoid any unnecessary dump/ BSOD now. 

Thank you. 

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

Please see the private message that I sent you.

If you have larger files, please upload them to a free file-hosting service such as OneDrive or DropBox.

Then ensure that they're shared out and post a link to them here.

These are the things that I still need (if they're to big to upload, then follow the advice in the above paragraph):

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

Edited by usasma, 01 May 2016 - 06:29 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

Thank you Hamlus for editing/removing my e-mail adress for my protection, thanks again !

** Able to generate the MSINFO32.nfo file, let me see how to upload...

meanwhile, Intel RAID console has this text report, please take a look if any useful for helping me...

Attached Files

#14 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

won't allow me to upload MSINFO32.NFO here, and won't let me upload to my public cloud at photobucket either

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Zip it up.

Try to upload at OneDrive or DropBox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users