Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which pc for VR..?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zen12

Zen12

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

Hi...I'm in the fortunate position of having an Oculus Rift being delivered to me next week but do need a new pc to run it.

Which out of the two systems below would be the correct choice ...?.. they both come out at roughly the same cost but one is Skylake 4 core based the other Haswell 6 core.

I realise both systems exceed the current Rift requirements but especially wanted something that would have a degree of future proofing built in.

Any thoughts please..?.

• Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 White Ultimate Low Noise PC Case
  • ASUS Z170-PRO-GAMING LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
  • Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz 91W HD 530 8MB Quad Core CPU
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz Memory Kit
  • Gelid Tranquillo Rev.3 Quiet CPU Cooler with PWM Fan
  • Asus Geforce GTX 970 STRIX 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
  • be quiet Pure Power L8 Modular 730W PSU, 80+ Bronze
  • Quiet PC IEC C13 UK Mains Power Cord, 1.8m (Type G)
  • Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe SSD

Or...

• Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 White Ultimate Low Noise PC Case
  • Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI LGA2011-3 ATX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz 140W 15MB 6 Core LGA2011 v3
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz Memory Kit
  • Gelid Black Edition Ultimate Tower CPU Cooler
  • Asus Geforce GTX 970 STRIX 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
  • be quiet Pure Power L8 Modular 730W PSU, 80+ Bronze
  • Quiet PC IEC C13 UK Mains Power Cord, 1.8m (Type G)
  • Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

None of those systems exceed minimum requirements, they barely meet official specs. VR manufacturer's official minimum specs for VR are way too weak. Have to be, because otherwise there would be not enough potential customers. To put it another way:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

Considering that GTX970 is generally way too slow to achieve 2160*1200 @ 90 Hz, it also means that GTX970 is way too slow for VR, unless heavily sacrificing image quality.

Tough reality is that currently there are no cards that can be recommended for VR. None. In case you really want VR now (and not after few months), grab Radeon R9 Fury as AMD's architechture is better for VR than Nvidia's.

Best choice is to wait for new cards that are coming in couple of months. It's also only option in case you want good VR experience with single card.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#3 Zen12

Zen12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

None of those systems exceed minimum requirements, they barely meet official specs. VR manufacturer's official minimum specs for VR are way too weak. Have to be, because otherwise there would be not enough potential customers. To put it another way:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

Considering that GTX970 is generally way too slow to achieve 2160*1200 @ 90 Hz, it also means that GTX970 is way too slow for VR, unless heavily sacrificing image quality.

Tough reality is that currently there are no cards that can be recommended for VR. None. In case you really want VR now (and not after few months), grab Radeon R9 Fury as AMD's architechture is better for VR than Nvidia's.

Best choice is to wait for new cards that are coming in couple of months. It's also only option in case you want good VR experience with single card. 

Thanks...

Yes I agree with you regarding the GPU situation and am quite prepared to purchase another card in a few months time if need be. It's just that having waited for what amounts to a fairly long lifetime to experience VR I'm not prepared to let my Rift sit on a shelf gathering dust.

What I was really asking was for thoughts on my choice of CPU / Motherboard /SSD combinations because I want something decently fast that I can add to later with new quicker GPU's as necessary.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

For CPU, I consider i7-5820K better.

Also better PSU like EVGA G2 650W/750W is recommended.

Problem with current M.2 SSD's is that they almost every model overheats (or slows down) during heavy use, so I cannot recommend them right now.

Other parts from i7-5820K seems OK.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 May 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#5 Zen12

Zen12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi, Yes I'm looking towards the i7-5820K too and the thermal throttling issue with the M.2 SSD's seems to be real ,I was aware of that. There may be a way round it using an adapter to mount the M.2 on or just making sure there is adequate air running over the board.

One thing is for sure there's no point paying the extra cash for a M.2 Ferrari if it always slows down went it gets hot...!!..:-) .

More research needed and quick ...my Rift arrives tomorrow..:-). 

Edited by Zen12, 02 May 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hi, Yes I'm looking towards the i7-5820K too and the thermal throttling issue with the M.2 SSD's seems to be real ,I was aware of that. There may be a way round it using an adapter to mount the M.2 on or just making sure there is adequate air running over the board.

One thing is for sure there's no point paying the extra cash for a M.2 Ferrari if it always slows down went it gets hot...!!..:-) .

More research needed and quick ...my Rift arrives tomorrow..:-). 

buy SATA 3 SSD (like Crucial BX100/MX200) and update with more mature M.2 later?

#7 Zen12

Zen12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Yes or I might decide on a Samsung 850 pro SSD which are quick and have 10 year guarantees ....so Samsung must be fairly confident about reliability there.  

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

Yes or I might decide on a Samsung 850 pro SSD which are quick and have 10 year guarantees ....so Samsung must be fairly confident about reliability there.  

Samsung's reliability is among worst of all manufacturers (840 and 840 Evo fiascos) and 840 case also proves that Samsung's warranty is worth almost nothing. Generally, long warranty period does not tell anything about product's durability. Many times manufacturers shorten warranty while quality stays exactly same but as long warranty cost money, it also means shorter warranty = cheaper product.

#9 Zen12

Zen12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Well I'm not going to build this pc myself so the computer companys 3 yr warranty will give at least some peace of mind....while the warranty lasts anyway.

:-)

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Well I'm not going to build this pc myself so the computer companys 3 yr warranty will give at least some peace of mind....while the warranty lasts anyway.

:-)

Well, in case they cannot change SSD, then Samsung is OK choice.

#11 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

Nvidia's new GTX 1000 series has been released with the GTX 1080. The GTX 1070 should come in a few months so i would wait for that. Similar price to the GTX 970 but better performance.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Nvidia's new GTX 1000 series has been released with the GTX 1080. The GTX 1070 should come in a few months so i would wait for that. Similar price to the GTX 970 but better performance.

AMD Polaris should also come about same price range quite soon.

#13 Zen12

Zen12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Well as I wasn't prepared to let my Rift gather dust after all the years of waiting so I now have this system which runs the Rift brilliantly well.
The reports and reviews about the ''VR experience'' are certainly not hype....it's simply amazing...!!.

Deep Silence 5 Rev.B Anthracite Low Noise Big Tower PC Case
- GA-X99P-SLI LGA2011-3 ATX Motherboard
- Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz 140W 15MB 6 Core LGA2011 v3
- Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz Memory Kit
- NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 fan
- Asus Geforce GTX 970 STRIX 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card[/size]
- Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe SSD
- WD WD20NPVX Green Power 2TB 2.5in Hard Disk Drive

And the pc is also running in what amounts to total silence which is an added bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users