Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Launch Bar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Toys4Boys

Toys4Boys

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

Just got a new HP laptop and cannot customize Quick Launch Bar. On my previous laptop I could show more than 4 icons but am unable to now. I've done several searches but no joy, Taskbar is not locked but I can't see the bars to the right of launch bar to expand it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975784

#3 Tomsonn

Tomsonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

Right-click an empty area of the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New toolbar.

In the dialog box, copy and then paste the following folder name to the Folder box, and then click Select Folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Now you see the Quick Launch bar with the text on the rightside of the task bar. To hide the Quick Launch text and program titles, right-click Quick Launch, clear Show Text and Show title.

Drag the Quick Launch bar to the leftside of the task bar. If you cannot move the Quick Launch bar, right-click the taskbar again, and make sure that the Lock the taskbar option is cleared .

If you prefer big icons in the Quick Launch bar, right-click an empty area of the Quick Launch bar, point to View, and then click Large Icons.

To add a program in the Quick Launch bar, drag the desired icon to the Quick Launch bar.

#4 Toys4Boys

Toys4Boys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thank you for your reply, I had already done that but as it turns out I was quite mistaken when I referred to the Quick Launch bar. In fact I was referring to the buttons on the left side of the taskbar and I would like to add others.

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Hi Toys4Boys and welcome,

If you go to Start>All programs>Select your desired program>right click>select Pin to Task Bar

You should be good to go

Hedge

#6 Toys4Boys

Toys4Boys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Hedge. I am trying to pin My Computer. Unfortunately I can't remember how I did that.

Edited by Toys4Boys, 02 May 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#7 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

Hi Toys4Boys,

Not sure if this is what you mean

But if you go start>right click computer>Select Show on desktop This puts an icon on your desktop, now left click and drag to the task bar and release 

This will give you an explorer like icon, but a left click opens libraries (on mine) a right click and I can select computer from the list

When done right computer and uncheck show on desktop to remove the Desktop icon (if you want to)

hope that helps

Hedge

#8 Toys4Boys

Toys4Boys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yes when I do that it shows up in windows explorer but on my previous laptop which is also W7 I was able to have it sit in the task bar.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Yes when I do that it shows up in windows explorer but on my previous laptop which is also W7 I was able to have it sit in the task bar.

Do you mean:  Pin to Taskbar -- My Computer [shown on my desktop as Computer ?

Edited by RolandJS, 02 May 2016 - 03:39 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

I found this paragraph somewhere, I'm not sure if you can use it, reverse-engineer with it, however, here is the quote:

...What you can do is put a Favorites toolbar in the Taskbar.

Right click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbar>New Toolbars.

Navigate to C:\Users\yourname. Highlight Favorites and click Select Folder.

It will appear on the right hand side of the Taskbar.

You can also create a shortcut in the Task bar using:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Users\yourname\Favorites as the destination and

dragging it into the Taskbar from the Desktop then deleting the Desktop icon.

-- quoted from another thread...I can security folder onto taskbar and rid many taskbar-pins.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Some time ago, I wrote this horrible looking text file.  Maybe you can use this, maybe you can reverse-engineer with it.

Taskbar Icon RePinning [Windows 7 Pro; your OS' TreeClimbing and Pinning  process may differ].

All of the below can be done either en mass or just for one icon.  The complicated process below will leave you with an "on-demand usable backup" of your Pinned To Taskbar icons.

Users --> [user] --> AppData --> Roaming --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> Quick Launch --> User Pinned --> Taskbar is where all the action is - behind the scenes.

In the User Pinned directory, make a directory called TaskbarPinFromHere; and Copy all icons [shortcuts] that you will want to Pin to the Taskbar.

This is going to sound crazy, but it worked for me really well!

Move icons from Taskbar directory [the ones without the (2) or (3) or (4) etc in their shortcut name] over into your TaskbarPinFromHere and delete the remaining icons.

On your taskbar, remove all the "colorless orderless pictureless" icons. From your TaskbarPinFromHere directory, right-click and click on Pin To Taskbar.

After all of that, you now have a directory from which you can reconstruct any troublesome icon[s] -- from TaskbarPinFromHere.

You cannot Pin To Taskbar from the Taskbar directory -- that approach will cause problems.

By the way, I am not at all talking about the Taskbar Icon Notification section!

That is a separate subject all-together.

#12 Toys4Boys

Toys4Boys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

Yea, I found the answer, the problem I was having was getting the terminology right. Googling "pin my computer to task bar" was all I needed, I had been looking for pin to Quick Launch.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Since I got my posted stuff from The 'Net, maybe keep the info for future use?

Yea, I found the answer, the problem I was having was getting the terminology right. Googling "pin my computer to task bar" was all I needed, I had been looking for pin to Quick Launch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users