Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the minimum hardware capacity for 3 monitors???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

It should allow you to, I'll double check my settings.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

My inbox was full up, sorry about that. Should be good to go know. :-)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#18 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

I put this answer also here from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612736/what-do-i-need-to-match-up-my-vg-cards-to-on-psus-and-motherboards/

So what do you mean saying "cheap"? In case you have any Radeon card that supports 6 displays (like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7250x1gd5 ). You will also need MST hub like that http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXPYTAG/ref=twister_B01COOLXAK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 + 4 displays with displayport though.

Or you can buy card that supports 6 displays out of the box http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7EPSVS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=mmcdl-20

If those are still too expensive and you are prepared to mess with three graphic cards, buy three of those http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7250x1gd5

Handling three graphic cards on same machine can be problematic but at least that is cheap. Other requirements? PSU with three 6-pin PCI Express connectors (or use adapters). Motherboard with at least three PCI Express slots (if your graphic usage is light like 2D, eve PCI Express x1 connector is enough for all cards).

In all cases, your displays must match to video card connectors.

#19 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

I guess in "theory" you could probably find a 2000 watt PSU, and a custom case that will fit multiple computers, but you really are talking expensive right now. To give you A hint, if you look at my signature, the first computer listed, has eyfinity, and can handle 3 seperate monitors at once. (keyword is 3, not 6) If I was to setup something along the lines of what your after (to do it right) here is a basic build I would go with.

If fact your card supports 6 monitors. Two from "legacy" connectors (other than DisplayPort) and four via DisplayPort (with 4 port hub). Of course problem is that when one DisplayPort is divided to four, also bandwidth for each display is four times smaller.

#20 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

I guess in "theory" you could probably find a 2000 watt PSU, and a custom case that will fit multiple computers, but you really are talking expensive right now. To give you A hint, if you look at my signature, the first computer listed, has eyfinity, and can handle 3 seperate monitors at once. (keyword is 3, not 6) If I was to setup something along the lines of what your after (to do it right) here is a basic build I would go with.

If fact your card supports 6 monitors. Two from "legacy" connectors (other than DisplayPort) and four via DisplayPort (with 4 port hub). Of course problem is that when one DisplayPort is divided to four, also bandwidth for each display is four times smaller.

really? when did they change that? it used to be limited to how many connectors. Is it 5 seperate screens, or is the one using the splitter just clone them?

picard5.jpg

#21 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

really? when did they change that? it used to be limited to how many connectors. Is it 5 seperate screens, or is the one using the splitter just clone them?

Since Eyefinity technology with Displayport came. Wikipedia says 2009. That is, two screens for "legacy" connectors (AMD considers everything else than DP to be legacy) and 4 more for DP. 6 separate screens yes, does not have to be clones. Also you can see from my links that adapter is quite expensive. Another option is to use DP Daisy chain, so connecting one display to another with wire. However, connecting more than one display to one DP connector may heavily restict bandwidth (and so resolution/refresh rate) and that may be problem. So basically this "6 display thing" is more for static screens than gaming.

#22 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

well, in this case, for the op, static screens is jut about all he needs.

picard5.jpg

#23 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

What exactly is meant by static screens?  Is that the opposite of cloned screens?  I'm not following well.  

#24 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:14 AM

Static means a display that doesn't display a lot of information like 3D games. In your case all your doing is displaying text across them. They are all individual screens, showing text you probably won't have any issues. If you were to start playing video games your likely to run into some major issues, with bandwidth and performance, as 3d imaging is a constantly moving display, which takes a lot more bandwidth and power to work then mere text scrolling across the screen.

This is why I suggested to wait, I'm no expert on eyefinity, and this gentleman is. With this knowledge you can cut some expenses, you no longer need crossfire. So now you could just buy a single card such as a R9 380 (200) and use a cheaper motherboard and a smaller power supply (5-600 watt range) and save yourself some money there.

Edited by the_patriot11, 04 May 2016 - 03:16 AM.

picard5.jpg

#25 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:44 AM

:tophat: ` I like money.  We get along.  In fact it likes me so much, it's hard to lose touch with it.  

Thanks, patriot.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users