Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the minimum hardware capacity for 3 monitors???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

I'm setting up a system of cheap rigs for trading Wall St. business online.  These monitors are just running my trading software and charts, so there's not a whole lot of draw down on the system/s.  

I'm using 3 PC and 3 monitors per each PC.  I found I could do this for about $300 with Ebay and Craigslist salvage.  One fellow tried to sell me on the idea of using 9 Raspberry Pi's (1 per monitor), but I found out that's about $500 with all new pi's and cables, and I'd have to write the program to connect them all.  I definitely do not want to go that way.  Work smart not hard......and cheap.   :tophat:

MY QUESTION:

What is the minimum RAM, Hard Drive, Mother Board, Video Graphics Card Capacity, and Power Supply that I need to run 3 or more monitors on a Dell Optiplex 755?  I would put as many monitors on one PC as I can if the PC's capacity will allow it.  

I chose this specific Dell platform because it seems it's the cheapest and most common PC on the used/scrap market.  It's the most readily tradable for my rig building projects.  

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:26 AM

are we talking doing it right? Using an Eyefinity setup, you could do this on a single video card-but were talking a good 6-800 dollar machine to do it right. You could even set it up for 6 video cards using eyefinity or a comparable NVIDIA setup. But your not going to do it using 300 dollars and craigslist. You could probably hobble together a computer with 2 seperate video cards, a halfway decent dual or quad core, and 4 gigs of ram that might work for awhile but its liable to be extremely slow and buggy. And your unlikely to be able to pull it off with the above computer, the PSU wouldnt handle 2 cards, or even a single card powerful enough to do what you need to do, and even if you overcame the PSU issue (unlikely, odd sized case) to work with 2 cards or a single powerful card would just overheat it.

Edited by the_patriot11, 01 May 2016 - 02:28 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

An OptiPlex 755 SFF as pictured has only PCI-e & one old style PCI slot & only a 290W non standard size power supply. So it is only suitable for one low powered graphics card (I know, I've got one, an AMD HD6450 card was about the best I could get away with).

Edited by rqt, 01 May 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

So this is mostly about the graphics cards and the PSU's it sounds like.  Is that right?

If that is the right, how do I know what graphics cards are not going to bog down the PSU and Core2 CPU?  

By the way, I plan on buying the additional RAM, but I'm nos sure how much that will help the situation.  8GB is the max these little clunkers can carry.  

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:50 AM

According to the Dell OptiPlex 755 User Guide the maximum power draw on the SFF (or Desktop case) PCI-e slot is 25 Watts (I think you will also find this printed on the motherboard). There are no supplementary graphic power connectors available. So any graphics card drawing over 25W is unsuitable (the maximum power consumption of an HD6450 card is around 30W & that's working OK for me).

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

Is that 2 or 3 monitors you are running off of that?  How many are possible on the rig you have?  

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

I'm only running one monitor - I expect I could probably run two (the card has DVI and HDMI connections) but I don't have that requirement so have not tried it (the card was fitted to give me the HDMI connection).

Edited by rqt, 01 May 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

What if I get a bigger PSU?  Is that going to give me more capacity for a bigger VG Card?  Can I get a big enough PSU for for multiple VG Cards?  The one guy above you said that this would overheat the rig, so then I'd be buying a big fan/sink I guess.  

What should I do here?  I need to keep it cheap and used off of Ebay and Craigslist or the computer junk yard around here, and I'd like to be able to put as many monitors on one PC up to 8 or 9 monitors.  I have to find the perfect balance between capacity and price.  

Thanks for helping me out by the way.  I'm in San Diego, CA, USA.  I see you're in the UK.  I see a lot of computer tech folk coming out of UK these days.  I'm glad to see it.  I kind of assume it has to do with speaking the same language.  Hehe 

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

OptiPlex Desktop & SFF case PSUs are a non standard size so you can't just get a bigger PSU.

The mini tower cases take a standard ATX size power supply so you can fit a standard power supply in these. The PCI-e x16 slot in a mini tower can in any case supply up to 75W. The standard PSU probably has no graphics card power connections but a larger capacity ATX replacement power supply almost certainly will.

(I was incorrect in saying that the unit you pictured was a SFF case - it is actually a Desktop case - they are very similar but the Desktop case is slightly larger & has a full size optical drive bay whereas the SFF has a slim-line laptop type optical drive bay.)

Edited by rqt, 01 May 2016 - 05:15 AM.

#10 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

u

Edited by F-1DeskLamp, 01 May 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

What if I get a bigger PSU?  Is that going to give me more capacity for a bigger VG Card?  Can I get a big enough PSU for for multiple VG Cards?  The one guy above you said that this would overheat the rig, so then I'd be buying a big fan/sink I guess.  

What should I do here?  I need to keep it cheap and used off of Ebay and Craigslist or the computer junk yard around here, and I'd like to be able to put as many monitors on one PC up to 8 or 9 monitors.  I have to find the perfect balance between capacity and price.  

Thanks for helping me out by the way.  I'm in San Diego, CA, USA.  I see you're in the UK.  I see a lot of computer tech folk coming out of UK these days.  I'm glad to see it.  I kind of assume it has to do with speaking the same language.  Hehe 

you cant put that many on one PC, the max you can do, is up to 6, and thats on a custom build, and your not going to be able to do it cheap. Using cheap parts, you might be able to pull of 4 with a frankenstein computer, but its not going to run very well, or very long. You get what you pay for. If you want to do it right, You need to fork out the cash and get the right hardware. You can probably do it for between $700-$1000.  Otherwise, you will be spending at least that much replacing all the cheap crap you get off of ebay every 2 months, and wont get anywhere near the performance.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#12 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

Okay, I'll take your word for it.  

Alright, so what am I looking for here, Boss?  How do I match of VG Cards with MB's and PSU's?  Is there a chart you can give me the link to that matches Watts, GB's, GHz and so forth, so I'm not buying stuff that's too weak or stuff that's too strong?  It's like no one knows what I'm asking.  You seem like you know the whole show though. 

Can I just buy 2 or 3 new motherboards, a bundle of VG Cards, and maybe one big PSU, load the RAM to the max, and connect a Hard Drive, and give it a flip on the switch, or doe these have to be whole, individual matchines with their own safe spaces and personal rights to boot?  LOL  Do you get my gist?  Is there a short cut, or do I need to make a few separate machines?  

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

I guess in "theory" you could probably find a 2000 watt PSU, and a custom case that will fit multiple computers, but you really are talking expensive right now. To give you A hint, if you look at my signature, the first computer listed, has eyfinity, and can handle 3 seperate monitors at once. (keyword is 3, not 6) If I was to setup something along the lines of what your after (to do it right) here is a basic build I would go with.

2 of these video cards ($200):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202196

A crossfire enabled motherboard such as this for $64:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872R

A basic quad core (a dual core will work, but theyre hard to find now) like this for $80:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

lets throw in some memory $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226754

A crappy but usable computer case for $23

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154118

A high end power supply (needed if you want it to last) for $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371067

Throw in a 400 gig hard drive for $20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD3ZP7202

couple cheap fans and whatever you can find for a optical drive. 

throw in a OS and your looking at aroung $6-650 give or take. Keep in mind this is a pretty barebones system, but should in theory give you 6 monitor support. If you can make it work with linux, you can drop 100 bucks off of that, but that would be questionable.

Alternatively, if you used a case similar to that, and a high enough powered PSU and CPU, with a full ATX board you can just throw in 2 of the cheapest video cards you can get and not crossfire them, it will give you 4 monitors, but doing it that way is often a hassle to set up, and is buggy as can be. Depending on how old of a video card you got, you can maybe get away with a 500 watt PSU. Doing it this way though, assuming you could find cheaper parts, I dont see you getting the cost below $300. But either way your going to need a full atx motherboard, a case that will fit it, and a high quality full ATX PSU with a minimum of 500 watts-higher depending on the video cards. To use the setup I suggested your going to want a high end 750 minimum-850 recomended (I have a 850 in the list I suggested)

In any case, id hold off a bit-perhaps someone else here will have a idea of how to do this cheaper, using different hardware, but this is a general idea of what you need. If I were to build a system for what your after, the above is what I would use.

picard5.jpg

#14 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hey Patriot, thanks a million for all of that.  That's the kind of gateway into this I was looking for.  

I'll take your advise, and wait to pull the trigger on that gear to see who will come a long with something else to add or say about any this.  In the mean time I'm going to study what you've shown me closely, so I get the picture burnt into my mind.  

#15 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

I tried send you a PM, but it says you're not allowed to receive them.  Anyway to PM you?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users