Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I re-name Motorola 24D2F

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zimzie

Zimzie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

When I click on the network symbol at the top of my screen, I see all these individualized names and I'm the only one whose network still has the name of the router.   

How do I go about changing the name from Motorola 24D2F to one that's more unique.  I've been told this is a security issue and that it really should not be left this way. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

Are you sure that's the model number router?  I can't find it anywhere on the internet.  Please double-check and post back.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

You should be able to log into the admin console of the router and change that. What you want to change is the SSID broadcast name, not necessarily the name of the router itself.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

Are you sure that's the model number router?

That is not the model number of the router.

I suspect the router is actually a gateway unit-modem/router combo.

It that is the case Motorola 24D2F is the pre-assigned network SSID name.

Zimzie, if you do not know the address of the router admin page, please post your router model number.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Whatever it is, we need to get the correct model number in order to advise the OP.

#6 Zimzie

Zimzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

It looks like I have people confused. I'm not wanting to change the name of the router, I'm wanting to change the name of my network so it won't give away the type of router I have. When I click on the Wi-Fi icon at the top of my page, it reads,
Motorola 24D2F which is my network name that I want to change. Then it lists all the neighbors networks and they all have unique names. I'm the only one with a network named after the router.

As for the router model number, it might take me some time to find that so I'll be back when I have it.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

It is the SSID broadcast name you want to change. You'll need to log into the admin console of your router to do that.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

We can't advise you until you tell us the make and model the router.  We need that information in order to find the instructions.  And yes, it is the SSID or Service Set Identifier or broadcast name or whatever and you have to get to the web admin console to change it.

#9 Zimzie

Zimzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

To answer the question, here are the numbers.

Model # SBG6580

S.N. 3958 8143 1500 5495 0702 1006

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Since you are asking for help to change your network name, I suspect you have never logged in to the web interface or changed any of the default settings.  Here is the User Guide for your Motorola Surfboard modem/router.  I would advise you to study the guide and familiarize yourself with it.  It might even be a good idea for you to download and keep a copy of the guide for easy reference.  There are a few things you should do immediately.

1.  Whenever you need to change any settings, you have to log in to (as they call it) Gateway Web Manager.  You will find instructions to do so on page 19 under the heading Start the Gateway Web Manager.

2.  You should change the username and password that is used to log in to the Gateway Web Manager.  You should attend to this immediately!  If you leave these at the default, anyone will be able to log in and change settings at will.  You will find the instructions on how to do this on page 27 under the heading Change the Default User Name and Password.

3.  To change the network broadcast name or SSID, go to page 37 and follow the instruction under the heading Change Your Wireless Network Name (SSID).  While you are there, you should set a strong passphrase using WPA2-PSK AES encryption.

4.  Finally, write down the password for your web interface and the passphrase to connect to your network and put it somewhere safe.  You don't have to do this, but I have seen several cases where users forgot their password or passphrase and have had to reset and redo all their settings.

5.  If everything else is working good, you're done.

6.  To log out, see the section headed Exit the SBG6580 Web Manager on page 26.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Edited by Agouti, 03 May 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#11 Zimzie

Zimzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thank you for this.

Edited by Zimzie, 04 May 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#12 Zimzie

Zimzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

I followed the directions given to me and was abused and humiliated by the website.   

The user guide was telling me things that were confusing so the screens that I was supposed to get  to in order to change the SSID name never appeared even when I followed the directions.  

I tried to create a new username and password on that first screen but I got no screen message to say that I had successfully changed them.  I got no response at all.  

I had to re-set the router and start all over again.  After this, it took some looking around, but I finally did get my name changed so it no longer reads "Motorola 24D2F."    The new passphrase is one I will never forget and don't need to write down. 

I do thank everyone here for your help and especially for providing the page numbers I needed.   

Edited by Zimzie, 04 May 2016 - 02:51 AM.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

You're welcome.  Don't worry if things sound confusing.  Study the guide and it will come to you eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users