Since you are asking for help to change your network name, I suspect you have never logged in to the web interface or changed any of the default settings. Here is the User Guide for your Motorola Surfboard modem/router. I would advise you to study the guide and familiarize yourself with it. It might even be a good idea for you to download and keep a copy of the guide for easy reference. There are a few things you should do immediately.
1. Whenever you need to change any settings, you have to log in to (as they call it) Gateway Web Manager. You will find instructions to do so on page 19 under the heading Start the Gateway Web Manager.
2. You should change the username and password that is used to log in to the Gateway Web Manager. You should attend to this immediately! If you leave these at the default, anyone will be able to log in and change settings at will. You will find the instructions on how to do this on page 27 under the heading Change the Default User Name and Password.
3. To change the network broadcast name or SSID, go to page 37 and follow the instruction under the heading Change Your Wireless Network Name (SSID). While you are there, you should set a strong passphrase using WPA2-PSK AES encryption.
4. Finally, write down the password for your web interface and the passphrase to connect to your network and put it somewhere safe. You don't have to do this, but I have seen several cases where users forgot their password or passphrase and have had to reset and redo all their settings.
5. If everything else is working good, you're done.
6. To log out, see the section headed Exit the SBG6580 Web Manager on page 26.
If you have any further questions, please ask.
Edited by Agouti, 03 May 2016 - 05:49 PM.