Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts down randomly when lid is closed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jm-9

jm-9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sometimes when I close my laptop, instead of going into sleep mode it shuts down. Then, when I press the power button, it refuses to boot. After pressing it many times it does eventually boot. This happens seemingly at random. My PC never shuts down unexpectedly aside from when I close the lid. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10. It never happened before the reinstallation.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Is the install of Windows somehow corrupt?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jm-9, 30 April 2016 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

Could be corrupt. Maybe a driver issue (power management).

If power settings are set correctly (choose what happens when the lid is closed): Make sure all drivers are latest or most recent.: No drivers and machine may act out and be a terror.

Can any details on this machine be divulged?

Thanks

#3 jm-9

jm-9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

Could be corrupt. Maybe a driver issue (power management).

If power settings are set correctly (choose what happens when the lid is closed): Make sure all drivers are latest or most recent.: No drivers and machine may act out and be a terror.

Can any details on this machine be divulged?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 5547. It was bought in late 2014. The processor is an Intel i7 4510u. It has 8GB ram. It had a screen issue about a year ago. The monitor was replaced by a Dell repairman. When I reinstalled Windows I also upgraded the hdd and had to remove the battery to do so. However, upon inspection of the battery afterwards, it appeared to be secured properly without any issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users