Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts at BIOS, often can't even bring up BIOS menu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MattRiddle

MattRiddle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

So a few days ago, I had the smart idea to update my Bios. I had brought up System Information and saw I hadn't updated the Bios since 2011 (it's an older computer), so I downloaded the 2013 Bios, and ran the windows installer. Everyone seemed to run fine.

But afterwards, the computer would restart at the Bios screen multiple times. Given enough time, it would sometimes get past the Bios screen and load Windows.

I tried pressing F2 to bring up the Bios menu, but it would restart before the menu popped up. After probably 4-6 resets, I could bring up the Bios menu.

I tried using an USB with the 2013 Bios on it to install it again, but it didn't fix anything.

I've heard of different things, like pulling out and putting back in (reseating) the CMOS battery to reset the Bios to the original version. I haven't tried that yet because I wanted to see if there were any other options.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

I am not aware that reseating the CMOS battery will cause the BIOS to revert to the original version.  Nevertheless, have you tried re-flashing the 2013 version again?  If that doesn't solve the problem, maybe you could try flashing the 2011 version?

#3 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

I took the cmos battery out, and kept it out for an hour. I plugged it back in, and it go to the BIOS and then gave me three errors. I didn't have a piece of paper in front of me, so I only wrote this one down

CMOS battery error

Not sure what it means, but it's still restarting at BIOS screen.

I put the 2013 BIOS on a thumb drive and had tried to update the BIOS from the BIOS screen using the thumb drive, but it didn't help anything.

#4 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

Well it's no longer giving that error. It was then giving a "BIOS has detected an unsuccessful POST attempt. press y to enter setup or N to restart with the old settings" and that happened until I got the date updated in the BIOS.

Now we're back to square one.

9/10 times, the computer resets before I can even get into the BIOS menu. But on the small case, and I'm pressing F10, I can tell it to boot from the windows drive, and windows boots just fine.

Even though the drive is the first boot device listed, it's like BIOS doesn't know to normally boot from it. Even though I have the settings set to boot from the hard drives first.

#5 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Oh and I used an USB with the latest BIOS and Updating BIOS from BIOS, and it didn't help anything.

#6 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

Ran Memtest86, and the memory had no issues.

#7 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:15 AM

I tried installing an older BIOS but it gave me an error saying it couldn't install an older version due to hardware or something.

#8 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:41 AM

Processor Temperature is around 43, so it's not overheating.

#9 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I tried each piece of RAM individually. No changes.

I pulled out the BIOS tab on the motherboard and used a BIO file on a thumb drive to reinstall the BIOS. No changes.

I pulled out the video card. No changes.

It seems to be getting past the BIOS a little more often, but it's still random if it takes 2 restarts or 10 restarts to get past BIOS.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

Hi MattRiddle.  If you continue to respond to your own topic, it appears that someone is helping you (and then no one will respond).

Luckily I had a few free minutes and was checking the most recent posts and found this :0)

It seems to me that this error "BIOS has detected an unsuccessful POST attempt. press y to enter setup or N to restart with the old settings" could indicate a problem with the flash of the BIOS or with the 2013 update.
I'd strongly suggest posting over in the Internal hardware forums where the hardware experts hang out:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 MattRiddle

MattRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

Yeah I should have edited my original post with the new info. That would have been better than making a reply for each update.

The "BIOS has detected an unsuccessful POST attempt" error happen just after I re-inserted the CMOS battery. Not too long after, it stopped happening. It wasn't the original problem or what is still happening now.

But I appreciate the help.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

If the error only happened when you reinserted the CMOS battery and hasn't happened since, then it's likely just the reset process.

But the usual process is for the BIOS to display an "Press F1 to continue or press F2 to enter the BIOS" type message.

Have you tried a new CMOS battery? 

Beyond that I don't have any ideas for the BIOS.  I'd still suggest that you post over in the Internal Hardware forums as the experts there have more experience with this than I do.

Here's the link again:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users