Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard and two processors. 

One is an AMD 6-core Phenom II X6 1045T @2.7 Ghz, the other is an AMD 4-core Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 Ghz.

So which processor should I install. I'm not a gamer. I use Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Photoshop ( the most memory intensive program I have)

So which processor would you install?

Edited by Ranger SVO, 30 April 2016 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

gfx_zpsyd8qwwr6.jpg

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1045T-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965

Since they are so close grab the most convenient.

Off topic:

Thought my gaming days were over (50 now).... Now I'm gettin' into PC gaming and liking it. Need more power... lol

Or this:

more-cowbell-tshirt_zpscekwb9n1.jpg

Edited by bludgard, 30 April 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

id get the 6 core...the problem with CPU tests, is you cant always trust them, theyre reliability, depends on what theyre designed to test for, and how. A lot of them, arnt designed around multiple cores, or even as many cores as they could. IVe seen some CPU tests give a single core CPU a higher score then a 8 core CPU, believe it or not, and ive also seen certain programs run better on a single core, then a multi-core. Depends on what they were written for. These days, more and more programs are written around multiple cores...what gives the 965 the performance boost is its 3.4 ghz clock speed, over the 6 cores 2.7, which is fantastic if your running software that requires high clock speed, but not necessarily good if your after multi-tasking.

Either way though, theyre both aging CPUs. Theyre good CPUs, but aging, and will both do you well, but I would use the 6 core, just from the standpoint I think it would give you better multi-tasking. (though, from your explanation, youd likely never even notice the difference between the two) and in the end, if you already have both CPUs, why not put in the one thats better-even if its just by the .1 the above CPU test gave.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the relies. I'll go with the 6-core. I know these are older processors and for me they are both more than I'll ever need.  I do tend to run a lot of programs at the same time but none of them would make either of these processors work hard. 

And who knows, I may install Microsoft Flight Sim X, heck it actually works on my old Dell with a Pentium 4 Processor, it just needed a decent video card.

Hmmm, flight sim

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

well i suspect that flight sim wont make either CPU break a sweat....they dont make my 945 even pretend to work. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

I would take 700MHz over two extra cores unlikely to ever be used any day of the week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users