Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 won't boot, startup disk doesn't work.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sah0724

Sah0724

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'm having a hard time with this computer, basically the mbr got messed up and apparently the windows drove locked and csnnot be accessed. I tried the dispatch command as you can see in the attachment and you'll see a ten gig drive I created as partition eight. Forgive me I'm new St this but this was the only drive I created so dell shipped it with so many partitions?

Anyways if you can assist I'll appreciate it, I tried the dispatch and no luck inget a error stating can't open bcd file which after giggling means the drive is still locked and cannot be opened
Also the mbr is just bad.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

First of all,welcome to BC !

Now can you please post back with the answers to the following questions ?

You have said it is a Dell,but please supply the model.

Do you have any valuable data on this computer ?

Do you have a recovery partition ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Sah0724

Sah0724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

I apologize, the issue has been resolved...

I will answer the questions.

1. Dell Dimension c521

2. Yes

3. Yes 

Basically UEFI mode didn't see the internal hard drive anymore and only Legacy mode was able to see it. Also when I tried to create a system image in DOS from the Windows Repair disk, I was unable too as Dell wouldn't accept the image, I had to backup my data to a external in DOS and I had to reformat the C: drive and erase all 8 partitions that was on the drive.

Then I had to create Windows 8 in Legacy mode since that was the only bios that was able to see the HDD.

Then I had to convert the bios from legacy to uefi in bios

A young man from another country helped me for hours, very helpful and very appreciative of all his help.

I learned alot from him, I hope I can retain all the information.

I will use this forum more, you guys are very helpful.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

Glad to hear you solved the problem, as I am supposed to be on holiday !

Just remember - make current backups of your own data on a regular basis to protect your data against the possibility of something like this happening again. You can always replace computers, operating systems and applications but once your data is gone - it is gone.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users