Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am Thoroughly Creeped Out By This...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 needhelpfast9123

needhelpfast9123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Okay so long story short, I play this online game called Runescape. I am in a clan with other players and often times I chat with them and I'm pretty sure I've never offended anyone. I don't normally have hostile conversations with strangers. Some weird things have happened though and I am pretty sure it's being done by some of these clan members. So basically, my phone received a weird text message this week around Tuesday or Wednesday from a number out of my area and it contained an MMS "namecard" is what it was called. I was immediately suspicious and did not open the file contained in the text but I did access the text through the phone notification button. I immediately deleted it. Well turns out that I read a bunch of news reports indicating that androids automatically process the information contained in these MMS messages and if a virus is in them, there's nothing you can do to stop it. I have never given these people my phone number (I'm not retarded and am very introverted so I don't like meeting new people period).

Fast forward to last night, I was texting a cousin of mine who is on suicide watch. I was just seeing if we wanted to hang out next weekend and play some videogames and once we set a meetup time we started talking deeper stuff like politics, etc. Just trying to make a friend with him so he feels not lonely and doesn't go over the edge and actually do the thing. After chatting with him for about 2 hours, the conversation was dying and I told him I was going to bed but I kind of stayed up a bit playing the game Runescape. After about 25 minutes of playing, two random players I have never met or seen come into the general vicinity of my playing area where I can see them on my screen. All of a sudden one of them starts talking in the chat and from the best of my memory these are the words (should have screen shot it):

CreepyPlayer: "You on dat pill"

CreepyPlayer: "I'm bad" (don't know where this came from?)

CreepyPlayer: some thing said here I can't exactly remember...

And... this is where its bleep creepy...

He says this exact line...

CreepyPlayer: "I'm going to bed" - u - 25 mins ago

Inherently I'm a thinker and I instantly connected the dots knowing he's talking to me about me... And then I connected the recent weird text I got this week... and several phone calls from in the area that I don't know either... I've heard of people being able to gather other players IP addresses through video games and if they were able to do this, would they also be able to find the information of my account with my service provider to get my cell phone number? I need to the advice of people who understand these things and need to know if this is a possibility that they tracked my IP address, gathered personal info from the provider, and am now watching my phone activity?

Edit: fixed a few typos

Edited by needhelpfast9123, 30 April 2016 - 12:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

So, unfortunately I do not really have a concrete reply to you. Stagefright (what I believe you're referring to) affects multimedia previewing, i.e. videos and photos, (as far as I'm aware) not contacts. Is it likely he knows your Runescape username and simply visited you in-game? There are Android AVs you can download and scan with (I'd suggest Avira or Emsisoft).

Your IP address does not link you to anything but your city at best without a warrant, nor would it allow the compromise of your phone (i.e. my IP(v6) is 2601:401:c503:2100:c94b:da4:8f8e:1d3e).

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users