Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SeCuRiTy, PrOtEcTiOn, DeFeNsE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shanevictor

shanevictor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

As I understand it, having multiple security programs, each one focusing on one thing, is better than one all encompassing security suite.

What I'm not sure about is how many I need to make sure I'm completely covered. One for viruses, one for malware, and one for rootkits. Are these three enough or do I need something more?  If so what is it? Would having several of one type give me added security coverage (Like having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emisoft Anti-Malware)? If so I do know that I should only have one performing real time protection to avoid conflicts. Is spyware covered in these or is it something additional I need to get?

Protection is my biggest concern. So what are the programs commercially available today that offer the best protection? Keep in mind I'm looking for the best of the best in terms defense and removal, so even if you know some really good free programs, I don't mind spending some money on ones that have a price tag if they're better and would prefer to do that anyway. Ones with anti-exploitation features would also be preferred. Also I know that there's no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best one overall. I'm focused on the quality that the programs offer in protecting against threats to my pc.

While its not a priority, any of these programs that are also easy to use and aren't intrusive or obnoxious while I'm doing other things on my computer would make them more attractive to me. But not if it comes at the expense of protection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hi Shanevictor,

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

As I understand it, having multiple security programs, each one focusing on one thing, is better than one all encompassing security suite.

I'm not sure that you can reasonably say one way is better than another. With this and really many things about computers the answer is it depends.

What I'm not sure about is how many I need to make sure I'm completely covered.

No matter what you do you cannot be 100% safe from all computer security threats. It just doesn't work that way.

Also I know that there's no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best one overall. I'm focused on the quality that the programs offer in protecting against threats to my pc.

You are very right saying there is no one size fits all approach. Your best method for securing your computers is to use a layered security approach. If you have not yet read quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing, you may want to take a few minutes to read through it.

If there is a specific program you are trying to secure or have a question how to implement different layers of security to protect your computer please feel free to ask.

Welcome again to BC!

packetanalyzer

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

@shanevictor, you don't have to mix upper and lower case characters in your subject heading, neither do you have to type in all bold letters.  That said, IMHO, the best form of protection is educating yourself and practising safe computing.  Nothing beats knowledge and putting that knowledge into practice.

#4 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hi Shanevictor,

I'm not as competent and experienced as most others on this forum and am certainly in no position to make any recommendations on what to use, but speaking as a purely recreational rookie pc user, I feel as though the mixed combo of freeware security suites that are listed in my signature below this post cover a wide spectrum of the most important potential internet security threat-bases that should be taken into consideration, ie, spyware protection, zero-day exploits/attacks, virus/worms/trojans, browser hijackers, keystroke logging, PUP's, dangerous site protection, and possibly more. I added the SpywareBlaster yesterday after reading a very positive report written by Quietman7 elsewhere within these forums. I am assuming these security suites overlap some others in certain areas which gives me further peace of mind in their combined effectiveness, as well as having their own unique capabilities and features. I would also like to add that these suites seem to integrate flawlessly with no conflictions and are extremely CPU-efficient in use.

Ultimately though, no one single suite, or any number of/combination of suites (paid for or not) are totally infallible to all malware, as you likely already know. All we can do as pc users is to do our best to make our lines of defense as sturdy as possible, with the final line of defense being our own common-sense, judgement and awareness of any pending suspicious activity or.... basically.....stuff that just 'doesn't look right' (for want of a better expression!)

Edited by robby501, 01 May 2016 - 08:48 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware infection, see my comments (Post #3) in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users