Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost complete control of my USB Live Mate

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:30 AM

A few minutes ago I lost complete control of my USB live session of Mate 17.3. It just quit responding. I have no user control at all.

The menu will not respond, I was unable to quit the session. Went to shut down by the user interface [GUI] got part way thru the process, black screen came up mate started to shut down and then I get an error pop up. "you will not be able to reestablish user account control" then went into a loop. Tried to shut down, error message, click ok back to error message repeatedly.

Finely had to just force a shut down with the power button. Removed the usb and rebooted back into cinnamon to report here.

Firefox would not even work anymore.  Will await advice before proceeding further.  Hope some one is here.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

Finely had to just force a shut down with the power button.

That is exactly what you have to do whenever your computer stops responding or freezes.  In fact, you have no alternative.

This happened to me a number of times when I waked Mint Cinnamon from a hibernated state.  The computer would suddenly freeze after using it for a while and nothing I do could make it respond.  I was forced shut down via the power button.  I have stopped using hibernation now because it's too buggy.  All this happened on Mint while installed - not from a live session.

When these things happen, we have to keep in mind that man (as in human beings) made or developed the operating system.  Man is not perfect, so we'll always encounter little glitches here and there.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Ok thanks for that.  Since I sometimes get a little click happy Iam trying to be better. Thought I would ask before doing anything else.

My plan is latter on shutting back down reinstalling the usb [in the correct slot this time] and boot back into the live Mate session.  When you restart a live session the memory is not retained from before. Is that correct?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

When you restart a live session the memory is not retained from before. Is that correct?

That is correct

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:24 AM

When you restart a live session the memory is not retained from before. Is that correct?

The concept of saving changes under Live USB is known as "Persistence".

We often refer people to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/  for a broad view on what it is.

If you wish to enable Persistence to accompany a Distro used live, then you burn the .iso to the stick using any of a number of solutions, eg Unetbootin, which is available from your Package Manager or Software Manager if not installed. You can have up to a limit of 4GB persistence for saving changes (a limitation of FAT32, not Linux), although you can get around that with certain steps.

Good thing about powering down is that any random bugginess about your session will disappear with the shutdown, as RAM is purged.

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:05 AM

Good general info on the pros and cons. No real information on actually how to do it. All i really would like to keep is some settings I find necessary and any favorite/bookmarks from session to session. So far I have not found a way for even Firefox to save them where they will carry over.

I may have just missed it tho.  Then again maybe I should learn to crawl before I run a marathon lol. The unetbootin tutorial does not cover that I find.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

No real information on actually how to do it.

All i really would like to keep is some settings I find necessary and any favorite/bookmarks from session to session. So far I have not found a way for even Firefox to save them where they will carry over.

I may have just missed it tho.  Then again maybe I should learn to crawl before I run a marathon lol. The unetbootin tutorial does not cover that I find.

Here is the link, although it will be much slower in my experience and not worth it for me.  Good to know and kinda fun to make and test.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-larger-than-4gb-casper-partition/

As far as FireFox you could Sync right?  Or you could go into Bookmarks > Organize > and Export To HTML file on a USB.  Then Import those in the next session.  

Once I get the money will test a large faster 3.0 USB with a Full Install on it and will tell you how it goes.  Although, I don't have a 3.0 Port should be much faster than the cheap slow usb's that I've tried so far.

Edited by pcpunk, 02 May 2016 - 10:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:26 PM

PcPunk

If you do not have a usb 3 port on your computer you will not be able to plug your USB 3 stick into any of the 2.0 ports.  The tab is slightly diferent. At least I have not been able to do it on my pc.  So check the plug in shape of your new usb drive.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

PcPunk

If you do not have a usb 3 port on your computer you will not be able to plug your USB 3 stick into any of the 2.0 ports.  The tab is slightly diferent. At least I have not been able to do it on my pc.  So check the plug in shape of your new usb drive.

Plugs in just fine as it should.  Most, if not all usb 3.0 are backwards compatible with 2.0.  Don't doubt what you are saying but I have not experienced this myself.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

Pc you have helped me way to many times to try to steer you wrong. I do not possess enough knowledge to help in any way.  But I did notice you were about to buy a high dollar 3.0 usb drive.  On my computer I have only 1 usb port labled for 3.0 the plug in is shaped a little differently. None of the dozen other usb thumb drives will plug into that port. I can not say whether the 3.0 can plug in to one of them.  I just do not have one to try with. However I have recently been spending a little time at the Sandisk web site reading up on them. Most of my t-drives are sandisk [not the best I know]  I do have several others from different manufacturers.  They will not plug in either.

The problem may be in the cheap sandisks they really do not fit real tight in my pcs ports, usb cables will and so will the non sandrisk drives as well, but none of them will fit in my 3.0 port.  This could be just my wannabe computer as well, you are running a good bit better PC than I am but not shur if that is really that much of a factor.

One thing I noticed on the packaging it says it only supports windows and mac up to version 10.5, nothing about liux.  Neither do I find any info on sandisk so far.

I e-mailed them last week but no reply yet. Frankly maybe I was not even supposed to have been able to create a live session flash drive with 17.3 Mate on it. lol

Just wanted to let you know before you spent your money maybe for nothing.  Money don't grow on trees.

Danny                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0.  You should be able to plug a USB 3.0 flash drive into a USB 2.0 port and vice versa.  Something must be wrong with your port.  It could be damaged.  Take a picture of your USB 3.0 port and post it in your next reply.  Make sure there is good lighting and you are pretty close, say, 12 - 15 inches away from the port, when you take the picture.  Also, Sandisk is a very good brand - better than most other brands.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

I know you guys like pretty pictuers but I am haveing trouble getting the picture from both cameras back to the computer.

Still working on it boss. lol

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

It's not that we like pretty pictures, rather, a picture will sometimes get to the crux of the matter quicker than posting back and forth.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

Quote from "Share Something you learned today"  

I may have accidently discover the source of many of my recent problems with this live usb install of 17.3 mate.

Main reason may be documentation on the sandisk packageing say the drive only support up to win8 and mac v10.5 no linux mentioned at all.
Second thing these sandisk fit loose into my pc's ports. If I bump the drive, the computer or even the table in the right/wrong way the drive will sometimes un-mount and if it tries to remount it will do so incorrectly causeing other problems.

You could have just said this here i think.  Sandisk is fine with Linux.  Like Agouti said, it's probably a product of your Port being damaged.  Be very careful not to bump the usb's, always.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

I agree but sometimes getting it to yall is a little hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users