Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Read GPT Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:46 AM

I took out a 500Gb drive from a faulty Dell laptop with Wins 8 and wanted to read whats on there.

Plugged it into my xp machine via a usb caddy and tried to mount it, but it says GPT Protected Partition in Disk Management

Then booted the XP machine with a Linux Live CD and when trying to read the 500Gb disk, said disk was in hibernation and was not shut down properly.

It only opened it in Read Only Mode

Any chance of rectifying this so I can read and write to the drive ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:35 AM

If the information on it has been already saved, I think Puppy Linux [one or more of the several available "brands"] may be powerful enough to reformat the hard-drive as MBR/NTFS 4096 allocation.  I have not yet done this, so, if you want, await advice on how to reformat from a Linux person.  If you wish, you can ask mod/admin staff to move this into Linux forum, if you sense a better answer might be found there.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

I have never tried it myself, but the answer by terdon in this thread appears to be what you are looking for.

#4 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

Useful to know !

I didn't see any of these replies before, so I plugged it into a Wins 10 machine and I was able to read and write to the drive via USB

XP obviously does not have the capabilities

Thanks

:bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users