Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online resellers of Win 7 legit???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

Hey guys, I done F'd up my Win7Pro OS and need to get the disks. I'm looking @ Amazon deals, specifically the Win7Ult. How do I know if these are legit and even come with the real product keys. I would like to do a live upgrade over my Win7Pro. Any suggestions or insite. I am so beat up trying to recover things. Thanks for the help.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2016 - 07:01 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

This is me talking for myself only, I purchased my three Windows 7 Professional from two in-town sources:  Fry's Electronics [W7P upgrade], 2 complete MS 32/64 blue-disk sets [for my 2 laptops] from Altex [AustinTX].  I mention the names to demonstrate I wanted to be absolutely sure that I was receiving bona fide Windows 7 Pro with bona fide license/product key [each].  I paid top dollar, lemmie tell ya.    While I think you're hunting up and down Amazon is a great financial idea - saving monies, I personally do not believe you can really be assured of "Windows 7 bona fide-ness" until after you paid your monies, got your choice, installed and attempt to put in what you believe is the proper license/product key.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 April 2016 - 05:38 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:21 AM

This one is legit sold by a legit company....Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems - Newegg.com

Is there NO chance of recovering your 25 digit code for Win 7 from your computer? If you can, you can use that to download

a free copy of the OS. You may be able to purchase the OS from your computer's manufacturer if you purchased the computer

new with the pro 7 OS.

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2016 - 05:23 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:39 AM

Buddy, thanks for reminding me about newegg!  I'll add that to my list.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

In reference to key re-seller sites like kinguin that sell windows licences for around 40$. It's generally not a good idea. The keys are legitimate keys that will work, but sometimes the places where they buy up the keys from aren't exactly Microsoft certified sources. They usually get them from a combination of the following-

1: Extra keys from a OEM manufacturer, or other place that buys keys in mass to use that might have extra. (perfectly fine)

2: They bought up a bunch of keys when there was some kind of promotional sale. (rarely happens with Windows keys though)

3: They buy up keys that are normally meant to be free. Such as the ones Microsoft gives away to schools, students, ETC. (Microsoft does not see this as ok, but technically isn't illegal) 

4: Sometimes a hacker, or group of hackers, will get a hold of a bunch of different credit card numbers. Then they would buy a ton of keys with them, and then sell them to those sites under the guise of being a OEM system builder as a way of "safely" transferring the money over to themselves.

Ok. Now you buy one of those keys from the site. You use they key. The key will work. However:
The free keys Microsoft gives away will sometimes have a expiration date. Generally around 2 or 3 years. After that the key will stop working. 

If they keys were bought with stolen credit cards (some sites are better then others at weeding these guys out), and the owners of these cards dispute the charges and succeed in doing so. Then the key will be revoked. 

Most of those sites offer some form of "insurance" you can buy along with the key. So that on the off chance it was gotten through illegitimate means, they'll send you a new free key.......but most of said sites will make you jump through 50 hoops before they'll send you a new key. 

NOW- Avoid the Amazon deals for cheap keys at all costs. Unlike the re-seller sites that do some form of verification to make sure the source is legitimate, Amazon isn't doing anything at all to check these alternate retailers that use Amazon as a store front. Avoid them and the key re-seller sites if you have even a remote fear of a key going bad on you.  

Edited by SEANIA, 02 May 2016 - 03:04 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I presume you mean you would like to do a repair install over your copy of Win7 so none of your data is lost? You should always image backup the hard drive before any installation just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 05 May 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I presume you mean you would like to do a repair install over your copy of Win7 so none of your data is lost? You should always image backup the hard drive before any installation just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Hear ye, hear ye!  The vast majority of problems we see posted in these forums could be easily prevented if people would simply make backups to external drives.  Yet so many don't.  I wonder if these folks drive around without spare tires and insurance too.  :nono:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

I've been using Amazon for years and have yet to have the first problem with anything I've ever bought from them.  I'll say the same for Frys and Micro Center.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users