Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded my Laptop HDD to SDD and cannot boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:36 AM

So I have a laptop that used to have a 2TB HDD inside. I recently have changed the HDD for a SSD. I have a flash drive with windows 10 on it and I am trying to get the computer to boot from the flash drive. However it is stuck on a screen that says " No bootable device " whenever I turn on the laptop. I cannot enter the Bios, and pressing f1, f2, f12 etc. does nothing. My laptop is an Acer aspire v17 Nitro. I am also 99.9% positive I connected the SSD correctly. I have tried putting the flash drive in all of the USB slots and still the same result. I have even tried putting in an old Windows 7 Disc into the disc drive and still the same result.  Hopefully there is another solution other than putting the HDD back in. Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

2 Imgur links to show the problem a little better.

http://imgur.com/Y1CpCxu

http://imgur.com/dcEUueb

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2016 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

Just to make sure the laptop is aok, did you put the original HD back in?  If everything works again, that means something is not communicating between laptop and the SSD.  Was the SSD pre-formatted as GPT or MBR, NTFS 4096 allocation, or is it still un-formatted?  Is it possible to use another computer to formulate a Puppy Linux usb or dvd and test again?    I am unable to access and read imgur.com -- so I do not know what is in the images.

From another thread, from cat1092:

Normally, many Windows 7 installs won't boot from GPT partitioning (on a non-UEFI MB)

Edited by RolandJS, 30 April 2016 - 04:00 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Frizzlee

Frizzlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:26 AM

I was able to get into the BIOS and switched the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. It recognized the flash drive right away. Thanks for the help!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:41 AM

I was able to get into the BIOS and switched the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. It recognized the flash drive right away. Thanks for the help!

cat1092 came through for us  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

You shouldn't install Windows 10 in Legacy mode since your computer uses UEFI.  You should leave the computer in UEFI mode and prepare a bootable flash drive for UEFI systems as described in this article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users