Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 drive partitions?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:34 PM

Hi,

I recently had my hard drive replaced as my previous one failed. Upon the new drive, I have a C drive in addition to a G drive. I want the C drive to be the main drive and have the space on the G drive placed into the C drive.

Here's the Disk Management menu: http://i.imgur.com/GvKGNw6.png

I tried making the C drive as active and it worked, but I could not shrink the G drive.

Any help would be great, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

If this is W10, there's a bunch of other partitions missing.

Did you do something to the installation?  If so, what did you do?

I'd suggest trying a 3rd party partitioning tool, but I don't use them - so I'll point you to this Google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=partition+tool&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

DJ, for long-range restorable backups of OS partition and data partition, I recommend having C and G somewhat equal in size.  Perhaps assign drive letter D to what is now G [because lots of threads exist where D is the norm drive letter for the data partition].  And, to make dvd-based installs and reinstalls smoother, assign drive letter I to your internal cd-dvd drive.  While there are any number of easyToUse 3rd party partition utilities, I recommend making full images of both your OS partition, and of your data partition [is it G?] before attempting to reSize present partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 April 2016 - 08:29 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

I agree with usama.  3 partitions are missing from a standard Windows 10 install, i.e. Recovery, EFI and System Reserved.   Something is definitely wrong.

@RolandJS, none of those things have anything to do with the OP's problem.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

I use Easeus Partition Master.  There's a free version you can use.  It's worked well for me, and it should let you shrink that G: partition.  I can see why you want to do that because 36 GB for the C: is too small for most purposes.

Re your existing partitions, I'm guessing that you have an older PC with BIOS and not UEFI with an MBR formatted hard drive.  In that case, you probably wouldn't have 4 partitions.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. If my G drive is indeed the usual D drive, I should change the letter to D? And as Niweg said, I want to use the most of my C drive.

If this is W10, there's a bunch of other partitions missing.

Did you do something to the installation?  If so, what did you do?

Could you elaborate on the installation part? The Windows 10 installation?

I've also downloaded partition tool, where should I get started?

Edited by DJ Deoseyus, 30 April 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Windows takes care of assigning drive letters - so don't worry about them.
My question about the installation are:

- did someone else do the installation for you?

- if not, then what did you do and how did you install Windows on this particular hard drive.

The Windows installer automatically creates those (missing) partitions - so something happened to those partitions during the installation, or afterwards.

FYI - I am very familiar with the standard techniques/processes of Windows installations.

But I do not spend much time messing with the partitions.

And if I do mess with them, I use diskmgmt.msc and diskpart to do my work.

In short, I'm not an expert at this stuff.  I can tell when the system isn't working correctly, but my "fixes" for this sort of thing are limited to wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows (and that doesn't sound like what you're looking for here).

I've got a brand new Lenovo laptop that came from the factory with 6 partitions visible in diskmgmt.msc.  As I recall, there's a minimum of 5 partitions created when Windows installs

Edited by usasma, 01 May 2016 - 08:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Windows takes care of assigning drive letters - so don't worry about them.
My question about the installation are:

- did someone else do the installation for you?

- if not, then what did you do and how did you install Windows on this particular hard drive.

The Windows installer automatically creates those (missing) partitions - so something happened to those partitions during the installation, or afterwards.

Well I used my friend's USB that had the installation. I put in my name and we just went through the privacy settings.

Should I be concerned that I may be missing partitions?

Edited by DJ Deoseyus, 01 May 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

I'm reminded of 2 quotes:

"Nothing succeeds like success."

and

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I wouldn't worry as long as it's working the way that you want it to.

As you don't have a recovery partition, I'd make sure that you have a copy of W10 to reinstall if you need to.

I expect that if you try to RESET the system, it'll fail as the recovery partition isn't available.

#10 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

I'm reminded of 2 quotes:

"Nothing succeeds like success."

and

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I wouldn't worry as long as it's working the way that you want it to.

As you don't have a recovery partition, I'd make sure that you have a copy of W10 to reinstall if you need to.

I expect that if you try to RESET the system, it'll fail as the recovery partition isn't available.

I'm going to try and reinstall Win 10 tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll let you know if the same thing occurs.

My files automatically save onto C and my C drive has no space as it has the system files.

Is it possible that the space on G was supposed to go to C and maybe the system files were to be on G, or and I wrong?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

"...RolandJS, none of those things have anything to do with the OP's problem..."

Agouti, I think this thread [title and post] has morphed -- I was answering thread starter's original starting post about resizing G or merging G into C.  Opening post now appears to be shorter.

** Before one begins reSizing partitions, one better have backups.  I thought earlier mention was made of needing technically-appropriate software [hence my dvd drive letter suggestion].  I mentioned the need for making backups before reSizing, and of course, continuing to make backups. **

I disagree with your comment; so let us agree to disagree and move on with helping the thread starter.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 May 2016 - 10:07 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#12 DJ Deoseyus

DJ Deoseyus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, I just want to make full use of my C drive.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:08 AM

Agouti, I think this thread [title and post] has morphed -- I was answering thread starter's original starting post about resizing G or merging G into C.  Opening post now appears to be shorter.

Do you mean somebody changed or edited the title and first post?  ...and there is no "Edited by..." tag?  Strange and stranger yet... there must be ghosts around.

@DJ Deoseyus, do you know if there are any files and folders on G?  Since a drive letter is assigned to that partition, it should appear in Explorer and you should be able to access it.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

"...Do you mean somebody changed or edited the title and first post?  ...and there is no "Edited by..." tag?  Strange and stranger yet... there must be ghosts around..."  -- Agouti

No ghosts; I asked admin/mod staff once to alter my topic title [to correct a misspelling] in one thread, and once in another thread:  to completely blow away my old opening and put in my much shorter rewrite. 

Edited by RolandJS, 02 May 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

"I recently had my hard drive replaced as my previous one failed. Upon the new drive, I have a C drive in addition to a G drive. I want the C drive to be the main drive and have the space on the G drive placed into the C drive."  snippit of DJ's opening post

Yeah, I just want to make full use of my C drive.

You want to make your one internal hard-drive have just one partition; you will need a program/utility that will do what you want -- there are many free and pay-for utilities that will do the job just fine for you; and I believe BC download section has more than one you can choose from.

"partition" gave me this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=partition

[go to the bottom of the page]

I have made partitions, removed partitions, reSized partitions from the days of Windows 3.1 to Windows 98SE; then jumped to Windows 7 Pro.  ReSizing also meant making sure the data, the material, successfully moved into the new or adjusted partition.  I'm at school, can help in bitsNpieces.

Because I know nothing about Windows 10 OS-created partitions -- I will totally leave that to the BC team and other members.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 May 2016 - 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users