Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"MPC" Virus- Can't get rid of it!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Liecell

Liecell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

NOTE: Please read the update at the end of the post!

Hail!

After a dodgy download, I obtained a virus. I'm not an expert in the area, in fact, this is the first virus I've had, so I apologise if I fail to provide the correct information.

I have installed Avast and I think I have some non-functional version of McAfee. I attempted to install MalwareBytes after the fact, but it seems to be blocking my ability to install it. EDIT: I installed it onto a USB and I can't seem to execute it on that computer either.

The Issues:

My problem is that there are a few problematic files I may have located using Avast's scan that I cannot remove, there seem to be certain actions I cannot perform (such as installing MalwareBytes) and I cannot access the internet (any page I load appears with the error "This site can't be reached - ___'s server DNS address could not be found - DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". 

The problems I have located:

The files I have located is a program called "MPC Cleaner", which is either a PUP or the virus itself. I apparently do not have permission to end its process in task manager despite being an Administrator, and I cannot uninstall it via the control panel. I'm too afraid to open it in case it digs me in an even deeper hole. Avast thinks that a file called "dnsapi.dll" is causing issues. I could not delete it, so I removed the file extension to prevent it from working, but that made Avast (and probably other programs, I didn't check) fail to open, so I put it's extension back.

What I've tried:

As I've already mentioned, I've attempted to manually remove some problematic files and processes to no avail. I attempted to fix my DNS specifically using various guides on how to fix that, however, I have come to the conclusion that the virus is what is causing my problem and therefore such solutions did not solve my problem. Avast is doing bugger-all to help.

I am operating Windows 10 and the browser I'm using is Chrome, however the other browsers I have (Steam, IE) don't work either.

I will appreciate greatly any assistance. Thank you for reading; I hope my writing was readable and not too waffly. If you need further info don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Lycel Liecell

SUPER IMPORTANT UPDATE: I attempted to safe boot my computer (via msconfig). For some reason the computer no longer starts at all (the fan starts but I cannot see anything via the monitor). This is not good... And I honestly don't think I can fix it. Maybe I should make a new thread for this? Suggestions are welcome...

Edited by Liecell, 30 April 2016 - 02:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi Liecell

This is likely hardware problem at this point. I can offer you few tips here. Is this desktop computer or laptop? Does your monitor have its power light on? Does the monitor show any indication like flashing screen when turned on?

Check the cabling between your monitor and PC. Ensure that no cables are loose.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 Liecell

Liecell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for replying!

The computer I am using is a desktop. The monitor I am using is a television, which is definitely plugged in. I haven't noticed the monitor change from when the computer was off to when the computer was on, and it still works fully as a television. It was working with no difficulties up until I attempted a safe boot, which is why I didn't think this was a hardware issue.

Ever since I got the virus, I haven't seen able to the screens that usually pop up when I'm starting my computer (the Alienware logo, then the windows logo). Avast asked if it would do a boot-clean checkup thing, but when I let it do so, the computer turned off normally, but when it turned on, the fan did but the monitor didn;t (such as what I'm experiencing now). I don't believe this was an issue before, but usually when I started my computer I'd turn it on when I hadn't turned on the TV yet, or I'd turn it on and leave the room, so there's a small chance this problem was not from the virus, though I suspect it is.

To start with, is there any way to stop my computer from safe booting manually? I've tried pressing F8, Enter, Arrow keys, Escape and Ctrl+Alt+Delete while this is happening to no avail.

#4 Slurppa

Slurppa

• 564 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

Hello Liecell

Unfortunately I don't think there is any key combination to switch to normal boot mode when its set up from msconfig. There is method that involves hard reseting the system.
Do you happen to have multiple monitors attached to your computer? You could additionally try different ports on your PC. I take that you are using HDMI? Newer computers usually have two or more HDMI ports so if yours does you could try switching between them.

If you turn on your TV before starting your PC and switch to your computers channel it usually states that No Signal or similar. When you then turn on your computer does TV screen react in any way, for example change color to slightly different shade?

#5 Liecell

Liecell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hello,

I only have one monitor attached to my computer. When I switch between the two HMDI ports on my computer, there is no change. When my computer turns on the monitor does not react in any way. I additionally plugged in my laptop to the TV using the same HDMI port/cord, and it worked perfectly. From what I can tell, this is a problem with the computer itself, and not the monitor.

I know this sounds hopeless, but thank you for helping.

#6 Slurppa

Slurppa

• 564 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hi Liecell

If you have DVI/VGA ports on your PC you could also try those if your TV supports them or you have additional monitor somewhere. Unplug your computers power cable for a minute and plug it in again. Try pressing F2 button repeatedly on your keyboard during boot process. It should bring up BIOS/UEFI screen. If that doesn't work try the same thing with DEL key. Note that this doesn't work if you have wireless keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users