Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command Line Utility Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karenf

Karenf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

error signature: szAppName:MpCmdRun.exe
szAppVer:1.1.10510
szModName:MpCmdRun.exe offset0002a57b
The system wants to send an error report, but I click to view report and this is what appears:

C:\Docume-\karen\locals-1\temp\werc27a.dir00\MpCmdRun.exemdmpMpCmdRun.exeWERc27a.dir00\appcompat.txt

Can someone help me get rid of this annoying and recurring error???
THANKS!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Karenf! Posted Image
Have you thought of submitting this post to the Windows XP Newsgroups? It's not one of my favorite places to frequent,but they are the experts on specific error messages like these. Not that the folks here at BC aren't experts..its just another avenue for you to persue.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Karenf

Karenf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

Thanks TMack, I have posted my problem in the XP newsgroup. Hopefully somebody here will have had a similar problem and have some advice for me.
Thanks again

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

%program files%\windows defender\mpcmdrun.exe - At your option
%program files%\windows defender\mpcmdrun.exe
MpCmdRun.exe is Command Line Utility.
MpCmdRun.exe is a part of Windows Defender software.
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corp.
www.microsoft.com

Make sure you have not blocked it in your firewall. If you haven't -

Try uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling Windows Defender.
It is still a beta, although fairly stable, and may experience some anomalies like the one you have.

#5 Karenf

Karenf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for your help. We'll try the uninstall.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:04 AM

appcompat.txt is the file sent to Microsoft when you agree to report an error.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

Generally the files sent to Microsoft on an error report are deleted after the report is sent. But, if you'd like someone to take a look at it - just copy to another location before sending the report. Then you can open it, copy it, and paste it into your next post.

The .mdmp (and .dmp) files can be analyzed using this procedure: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

The !analyze -v command is typed in the box at the lower part of the window that the Debugging Tools opens. Then, just copy the report and paste it into your next post to see what we can figger out about it.

But, all in all, Enthusiast's advice is the best way to go (IMO). It fixes most of this sort of problems and is easy to do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users