Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Not Starting/Going into Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 txjj77

txjj77

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hello guys, I am new to this forum, but not to computers. I have a problem I have never ran across.

I am running fully updated Windows 10 as of about 4-18-16. About that same time, my desktop, a Gateway DX4380G-UW308 just showed a black screen and would not wake up. I got on my laptop and saw where sometimes the display driver will do this, and if you connect another monitor to a different port on my AMD Radeon 7540D, you can still see content on the second screen. This did not work. My computer will do the Gateway splash screen, a quick dos type screen, then window screen. Sometimes it will boot all the way to logon screen, sometimes not. It always tells me going into power saving mode. I have tried multiple monitors as well. I usually cannot boot into safe mode, though about 1 out of 8 times I can.

I have tried running av software and rootkit killers in safe mode, and after a few seconds to a few minutes, it will go into power saver mode again. I have tried refreshing the drive, and still problem persists. I have even done a complete factory reset, killing all of my files and installing the backup windows program, but the problem persists. I have tried logging into it by AMMYY with my laptop to run av software, and it shuts down the communication between the computers, then goes into sleep mode.

I have tried Dariks boot n nuke, and sysrescue, along with several other rescue disks, and the computer will not boot from disk. It will also not boot from my restore flash drive. No USB boot or CD boot support is available.

Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm wondering about your video card (and a hardware problem with it), but would suggest that you post over in the Internal Hardware forums and have a hardware expert take a look at this:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 txjj77

txjj77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for your reply. I really don't think this is a hardware issue. The reason being is that when I can get the computer into safe mode, it will run indefinitely as long as I don't try to run a virus scan, or try to change device drivers, or access the registry. It also tells me that Windows Defender has been turned off and I am unable to turn it on.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hmm, that makes a bit of a difference.
FWIW - while it used to be that Safe Mode was the "test" for hardware problems - that's no longer true.

But it's still the most likely diagnosis, so we'll have to start with the presumption that it's not hardware.

So, let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 txjj77

txjj77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. Here is the information you requested.

Attached Files

#6 txjj77

txjj77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Also FYI, I have cupid running. All temps are low, 29 C.

#7 txjj77

txjj77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

Also, I just noticed my computer has been renamed. It has never been DESKTOP-PLOCOTV as far as I can remember. I had made a custom name for it. I think I may have been hacked. Before I reinstalled the second time, all of my mobile/telephony data connections had been configured, and I have never used anything but WiFi connection or direct connection via cat cable to my router to access the internet. I'm sorry if I am rambling, I'm just trying to give you any info I can think of to help diagnose. Thanks again!

EDIT. After 45 mins, both temps are 34 C. I was also able to wake up from standby in safe mode this time.

Edited by txjj77, 01 May 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

I'm not getting notified of your replies, please send me a PM when you post a reply.

Then I'll be notified whenever I logon to the forums.

From looking at the Admin log, there's a lot of other errors.

In particular I note that most times the system shuts down, there's a failure to initialize a crash dump.

This is one thing that I see (as a BSOD analyst) fairly frequently - a sleep transition that isn't successful and has a "hidden" BSOD.

So, let's see what we can do to get to the bottom of this.

First I checked the System log file and found the same lack of a pattern there.

Also, there's no mention of the specific bugcheck (aka BSOD error).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P11-A1) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

There's very little information in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report (due to the reinstall of the OS recently).
But I have to wonder if there was any significant info about the crashes previously - as there's no hint of it in the event logs (other than the failure of the crash dump to initialize).

And, I presume that these crash dumps are BSOD events and not user space crashes, as they occur while the system is rebooting immediately after an unexplained shutdown.

But, on the plus side, once the Windows Updates are installed, it'll be easier to spot things as there isn't all that much installed on the system other than Windows.

Pardon my rambling, but this is sort of a "stream of conciousness" thing I do.

So, you reinstalled Windows on 29 April and yet the same problems are continuing.

Was the computer name changed from after you reinstalled on 29 April?

How did you reinstall W10?

Let's look at this logically.

There are only 2 things that can be wrong with your computer - hardware or software.

Just FYI - we frequently break down the software into 2 sub-categories:  Windows software and 3rd party software.
This is because Windows software is much less likely to have problems than 3rd party software

There are some things that need to be ruled out in order to make these assumptions. 

And the first (in this case) is how Windows was installed - and was this the same way that Windows was installed previously?

The definitive test here is to download a copy of W10 to install and see if that makes a difference:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

BEFORE doing this, make sure that the system is permanently activated by running this command in a Command Prompt:  slmgr /xpr

It should open up a small window that states the system is permanently activated.
If this is the case, then W10 is registered for this hardware on the Microsoft servers - and you won't need to worry about activating it.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:26 AM

There's another topic here that has a lot of these DCOM errors isimilar to yours) and they also have some disk errors.

I'd suggest running these free hardware diagnostics "just in case":  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users