Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

...File is Open in Surrogate COM (3)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hi Guys Could this be  “another Update Blunder” of Microsoft “Windows 10” OR a Malware From some Free Icons I have downloaded Lots of Same-Like Complaints all complaining it happened after an MS Update? My Problems areas well as JPEGs other partly related File’s  and other Metadata from Album Art etc. to M S mine is a bit of all that but the Removing of The Metadata off my Mp3 s is my Biggest problem I have tried many Fixes ( 4 ) and Like all the other complaints Nothing works
Action Cannot be Completed Because the File is Open in Surrogate COM (3)

I Tried again (10 times) with Error sign still Up >Task Mangr > Details > ...Surrogate COM (3)> End Task/ But still I cannot Remove the Metadata correctly Its removing The Name Of <Title> and <Album Artist>after > Right click Mp3 File (S) >Properties > Remove unwanted Data  from My Mp3 Files and I still have a lot of Icons I downloaded the Other Day That are Error: “Invalid File” as well as some I have had for years  
But also those that are of course are now missing from the “Folders I had Installed them To on the Desktop Mainly
I Tried Msconfig > Turn off COM Surrogate (3) but it won’t Turn Off ?
So my latest effort and so far the Most Productive is this: Used Tasl
   Windows\System32\dllhost.exe Admin Command Prompt sfc /scannow
I also have something that is Related I bought MS Office WORD 2016 a month ago and I have an Error every time I try to open a New file 5 Online Help and 3 Reinstalls By MS Tec’s and I gave Up?
What I did notice Is when I open a MS OFFICE WORD  Doc  new or Old it has a Dazzie Shelly as the Owner (Scr 4) I have 3 Accounts Admin Dasha and Admin & a Standard Dazzie Shelly account
That was only ever Used in their Nosey “MS Personnel Account” that I have used about 3 Times over the Win 8 Years and Twice with Win 10 but  Never in Dasha Admin Account. Has the MS Personnel Account Shanghaied Word 2016 or is there another “Profile” Problem with it also”? The only time I have ever Used The “Dazzie Shelly” Name was ages ago when I first Got this PC ? I know that’s a Lotta Stuff to sort’ but I have tried everything I have found on the Subject and as I am not an Expert on PC s’ I am Limited to following Screen shots to find my Way? It Definitely is a big Problem that People started Complaining about in November 2015 after a MS Update but it only arose that I know of in my PC Recently. I feel its all related to the Account Profiles and “Surrogate COM (3)” and these new Icons  Thanks In Anticipation Regards Dasha :smash: :unsure:

Computer Description DELL Desk Top HOMECOMP
Computer DELL Inspiron 660 2013 Intel Pentium 4 CPU,
// 2.4 GB // 2.80 Gig + 512 Meg Ram with
Intel Graphics Controller’ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
File System / NTFS /
Capacity / 149.0 GB / 160.031,015,425 bytes  
Weston Digital 1 Terabyte HDD Partitions are /  G, H, I  J  /
2003 – Dell Inspiron Desk Top with BENQ LCD 21" Screen
and MS Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.  ,
Running Firefox, Gmail, Windows 8.1 – 10  
I am connected to TELSTRA
I Run CCleaner MWMBTs and Kaspersky “Paid” & Kaspersky Firewall!

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

Again I Have Figured it Out this is the Link To Dropbox Folder is named " Bleeping AdminRar " sorry about my confusion  Dasha :thumbsup2:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1vivyomgfzcpp1n/AACE2UhB4PTkhwdO1dqBReULa?dl=0

Edited by Dazza, 30 April 2016 - 08:26 PM.

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

#4 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

I thought I sent all this Yesterday?? i am Sorry I don't know what I did except getting old? I had Loaded the Other Two but when I tried the Admin.evtx Rar  it rejected it and it took me a while to work out what you meant by "using a Free File Hosting service? But anyway My Fault and I apologise

1 )  So I Re sent the Dropbox  Link for the Admin.evtx Rar  Its in the Folder "Bleeping Comp" Folder in DropBox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1vivyomgfzcpp1n/AACE2UhB4PTkhwdO1dqBReULa?dl=0

2 )  The Report File Rar Is attached  

Searching for Shutdowns

Yes their was a Slam-down 2 weeks ago the Power was turned off 7 Hours after the said they would and I have had at least Coloured Screen (Not blue) Shutdowns

Hopfully I have this correct now , I am on my  computer all Day' so I will be here if you need somthing else for Now My Regards Dasha :thumbup2:

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

I was not notified of your reply.  Please send me a PM when you post, that way I'll get notified.

The Admin logfile is confusing to me.  I don't see any patterns, but I do see repeated errors that may/may not be significant.

Hmmmmm........

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A09) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

H: drive only has about 4% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

This device had problems in Device Manager:

Kaspersky Lab power events provider    ROOT\SYSTEM\0003    This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer.

Please:

- uninstall Kaspersky

- run the Kaspersky removal tool (link here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html#K )

- reboot,

- download/install a fresh copy of Kaspersky

- update it and set it to scan automatically.

- perform a full system scan

Uninstall Zortam Mp3 Media Studio as it's spitting a lot of errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

If that doesn't fix it, the start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Beyond that, try (in this order):

- a System Restore point from a point before you had this error

- DISM/SFC (see the quote box below for directions).

- a repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

- a RESET using the Keep My Files option

- backup your stuff, then perform a RESET using the Remove Everything option

DISM/SFC instructions:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for all of that. Will be next Monday before I can complete all this ( small steps ) and other Stuff I have to do as well. I will complete all you have suggested and Report back here when I come out the Other Side. I assume that you want it done in the "sequence you have mentioned" and will do iti n that Order :thumbsup:  Thanks for what you are doing' I appreciate it greatly without people like you people like me, Could never enjoy having a Computer Cheers for now  Dasha

PS did you want me to continue Running CPUID

Edited by Dazza, 02 May 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

I got the PM - thanks!

Take your time.  As long as you message me, I'll get notified by a popup when I login to Bleeping Computer.

If the system hasn't shown any signs of overheating, you can turn it off now.

#8 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:12 PM

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check

I updated with this KS3 41458 I don’t know about the Ones below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced this month. Key changes in this update include:

or more info about the security fixes in this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3 147458

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check

March 8, 2016 — KB3140768 (OS Build 10586.164)

March 1, 2016 — KB3140743 (OS Build 10586.122)

February 9, 2016 — KB3135173 (OS Build 10586.104)

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced this month. Key changes in this update include:

rch 8, 2016 — KB3140768 (OS Build 10586.164)

March 1, 2016 — KB3140743 (OS Build 10586.122)

February 9, 2016 — KB3135173 (OS Build 10586.104)

Not Done Yet

USB-ZIP or USB-HDD. Or, set the hard disk boot priority to boot from the USB stick if your BIOS lists the device as a hard drive

Save your BIOS settings and reboot’

I had and to Reformat the FAT32 using the Long method before it Worked But I have it and it’s all good

Uninstall Zortam Mp3 Media Studio as it's spitting a lot of errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Zortam Removed   

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A09) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available

I Scanned at DELL Auto Driver and Update and the Result is I have  Installed  à  Update Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver |

Serial-ATA_Driver_7D6X8_WN_12.8.0.1016_A00.EXE (5 MB of 22 MB)  

I Uninstalled and Reinstalled Kaspersky as required and Rebooted

I ran a Full Scan Log its attached 

Did the Restore last Night and It all went Sad so after much a doing I managed to Go back to the last “Friday Restore Point’ and Its all Working Good

The issues made the PC nearly inoperable during this I Tried to Boot F12 to get safe Mode or Run the Disc or the USB But I Cannot Boot into that Mode I Have Tried holding

F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12 -------------- none of them will let me in and I remember I have had that problem since it was New

I also Removed all the 4 Damaged “Blacked out WinWord’s Icons and all the Other icons I had in a Folder

I am Happy with the Computer Now, its all Good so I will at this Point thank you for you Kindness and hopefully It will be alright from here on? If it goes Feral again I will do a Clean Reinstall

Do You still Want the DISM/ SFC Scan done??

Attached File  Kaspersky Log.txt   2.7KB   0 downloads

Edited by Dazza, 08 May 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

No need to provide anything else if you're happy with it.

Should problems arise again, please feel free to post back.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users