Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATT DSL Service and Utility companies new SMART Meters

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Help-Me-Bleeping

Help-Me-Bleeping

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hi All,

According to the AT&T DSL techs that come to my house, my DSL service is almost 4 miles away from the hub.  BUT, both my neighbor and I were getting ok service out there for over 10 years (1.0 Gbps - 1.5 Gbps). Once in a while we would have to reboot our routers.  Now, we are lucky if we can get decent speed (over 500 KBPS for more than 2 hours).   And download speeds always fall behind upload speeds.

DSL speeds have been terrible since January 14th and AT&T can't find the source of "noise" on the line. Terrible means less than 349 Kbps, typically 100 - 200 Kbps.  I believe the issue is systemic as does my neighbor who is experiencing the same issues in the same time span.  The source of the noise comes from various points on the line.  They cannot pinpoint the source, as it seems to change.   AT&T has been out to my home weekly since Jan 14th, so much so that I know most of the techs personally now.  :cowgirl:

Fact:  DTE started installing "smart" meters this year in our area. :idea:

http://smartmetereducationnetwork.com/

I am thinking that the smart meters may be the cause of intermittent "noise" on the line.  I recall when managing a manufacturing network, that heavy machines would generate electro magnetic "noise" and disrupt the network with errors.  So this is entirely plausible.  I have notified AT&T and am pushing them to investigate. 

Does anybody have any insight into this issue?

Ciao,

Help-Me-Bleeping(...computer)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

Usually, network cables are shielded to reduce interference. Let's try to find the location of increased latency.

Please do the following for me:
Download this customized version of Scath's Network Batch from my Google Drive.

Double-click on the file and allow it to run. A black terminal window will appear, please do not close it. The test may take several minutes to complete. Once it is done, a notepad will open with a lot of text in it. Please copy and paste that text into your next reply.

If you get any errors, please let me know.

WARNING: This script has been specifically been crafted for this particular user. Please do not run it if you are not the user it was intended for.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users