Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These DCOM errors are annoying

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

Hello:  I know Event Viewer is a Pandora's Box much of the time, but two of the three errors have a noticeable effect on the machine's shutdown time (prolonging it) and the third concerns me as it appears in conjunction with another Windows service.

The culprits are Event IDs 10016 and 7031 (SyncHost) plus ID 10010, the server being the AUTaskHandler and the error coincides exactly with Windows Modules Installer Worker starting its task.

Version is 10586.218, is this current for the Home version?  Haven't gotten April's updates yet though Settings says up to date. W10 was installed not 10 days ago from a System Restore to W8.1.

Looked everywhere else--nothing fruitful.  Would this involve a registry modification(s)?  :nono:  Systems File Checker, malware scans and DISM scanhealth were negative.

Help?  Thanks!

plat1098

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

You can google search these errors search "Event ID # Source" to see if anyone has a solution to these errors. Example of  searching error logs you would type "Event ID 7031 SyncHost" the SyncHost is the source of the error.

1aYYYgg.png

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 April 2016 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#3 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hi FreeBooter, thank you,

Would you believe I don't deal with anything Google?  OK, well for this I switched my search engine to Google and came up with a couple of things: namely adding "Network Services" and then check-marking all the permissions via "dcomcnfg."  Shutdown produced the nasty little "I'm still busy" ding-a-ling with 1 DCOM error and now 3 id 7031 errors and a prolonged shutdown.  Some have said these errors aren't even solvable by the end-user and should be ignored but hey, two of them are affecting my machine's performance.

OK, I'm going to bite the bullet and try the registry thing I found on the Ten Forums at some point. :thumbdown:   If anyone has had identical issues and has tried editing the registry to change ownership to Administrators and then Trusted Installer and has then successfully eliminated these irritating errors, I'd sure appreciate the feedback.  Guess I'll have to back up the registry first, right?

plat1098

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

I think the shutdown issue has nothing to do with DCOM errors, perform Clean Boot to eliminate startup services and programs causing shutdown issue. If you prefer you can use my program it will speedup shutdown and restart time of Windows OS. Always backup registry before you make any changes to registry values data.

"Boost Windows O/S & Network Performance"
https://www.whitehatforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 April 2016 - 06:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Here's a canned speech I wrote for DCOM errors:

Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.

But, FWIW, I just ignore them and haven't had any problems.

You'll never be able to fix ALL errors - it's just a fact of life with the complicated OS and programs that it supports.

If looking at the Administrative Events log file - it's just a summary of the Critical, Error, and Warning events from different logs on the system.  There are no Information entries posted to the Adminstrative Events log file.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi and thank you, usasma, again, I'll snip and reserve your tutorial for future use.  This is what I already did with dcomcnfg:

Attached File  dcom permissions.PNG   21.51KB   4 downloads

In comparison: left snip is routine shutdown errors, right snip is what I got with above:

Attached File  typical errors.PNG   12.46KB   2 downloads     Attached File  string o'DCOMs.PNG   23.55KB   2 downloads        

I wouldn't care otherwise if my shutdown wasn't dragging on and on.  Combined boot and desktop loading time is just a few seconds.  These errors seem to be more obviously manifested when you open and use a browser for any length of time and if you've installed W10 over a pre-existing operating system.  Maybe down the road it'll mysteriously fix itself, this has happened before.

Thank you again    :)

plat1098

#7 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Hi FreeBooter, thank you for continued advice.  Startup is just a few seconds versus dragging shutdown.  This has been a problem I've had ever since dealing with Windows 10 some 6 months ago.  These errors definitely cause the issue. 

I'll see what my current adjustments do over the next several days, sometimes it takes that amount of time before something kicks in.

Thanks again, plat1098

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

The shutdown problem is significant, and I wouldn't ignore errors generated during it.

Please perform one more shutdown, then restart the computer and as soon as you can, please generate these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by usasma, 01 May 2016 - 08:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi FreeBooter, thank you for continued advice.  Startup is just a few seconds versus dragging shutdown.  This has been a problem I've had ever since dealing with Windows 10 some 6 months ago.  These errors definitely cause the issue. 

I'll see what my current adjustments do over the next several days, sometimes it takes that amount of time before something kicks in.

Thanks again, plat1098

Hi plat1098,

The startup programs affect boot up speed and shutdown speed as all startup programs and services continue working in background when you login to Windows desktop one of them could affect shutdown time this is the reason why i have suggest to you to perform clean boot state to eliminate startup services and programs. If any the instructions that Usasma link you to it does not ask you to execute perfmon /report  command please do so this command collects performance data for 60 seconds and then generates and displays a system diagnostics report. Please upload the performance report that is generated for us to have a look.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 May 2016 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image

#10 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hello:

Attached File  New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip   22bytes   1 downloads

Attached File  HWMonitor.txt   48.58KB   1 downloads

I'll attach the PerfMon and BSOD inspection text in a little while. I'd cleared the event logs up until about three days ago. 

Funny you mention ID 41 as I had that about two weeks ago following installation of the wrong drivers for my machine via Device Manager (thanks, Microsoft :thumbup2:)

plat1098

#11 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hi again:

Attached File  perfmon.zip   156.06KB   3 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   207.1KB   6 downloads

Thanks for looking at these, I really appreciate it.  Maybe someone else can also benefit from whatever information comes out of it.

plat1098

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

Sorry, but I'm not getting notified when you reply.  Please send me a PM each time that you post, that way I'll know that you have responded.

I still need the report listed in the 2nd item.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version I1KT44AUS) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

No real clear issues in the log files in the reports.

I'm interested in seeing the Admin logfile around the time the system shuts down.

Also, if possible, could you run a second one after disabling Sleep?

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:18 AM

Update graphic card and graphic controller drivers download links are below.

"GeForce GT 730"
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100862

"Intel® HD Graphics 4600"
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

Posted Image

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Copy and paste below codes to Notepad and save the file with .reg extension. Execute the saved registry file by double clicking the registry files.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Accelerate Termination Of Hung User Processes Wait Time 
;Lowers the time the system waits for user processes to end after the user clicks the End Task Command button in Task Manager from 5000 to 3000 (milliseconds).
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="1000"
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="1000"

;Accelerate Termination Of Processes/Services At Shut Down 
;Lowers the time the system waits for user processes to end when the user logs off or shuts down from 20000 to 3000 (milliseconds) 
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"

;Automatic Termination Of Processes At Shut Down 
;Forces user processes to end automatically when the user logs off or shuts down 
"AutoEndTasks"="1"
"AutoEndTasks"="1"

Posted Image

#15 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'm sorry, usasma, I forgot to shut the machine down beforehand.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   210.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  EventView.zip   37.43KB   1 downloads

Do you mean disable Sleep in Settings?  Is there a way to disable the sleep mode entirely?

No BIOS updates, this machine is obsolete.

Now you see why I'm concerned about these errors, esp. ID 10010 which interrupts WMIW.  Version below and Settings says "up to date."  I was going to wait until the next round of updates to see whether those cumulative updates are getting through. 

Shutdown is OK but still slower than what I was used to.  Event Viewer is still littered with these DCOM errors.

Attached File  winver.PNG   27.39KB   0 downloads

I read somewhere about changing a key value to "Accepts Pre-shutdown."  Do you know about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users