Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking My Dell Latitude C400

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:12 AM

I'd like to overclock the CPU (Intel Pentium III M, 1.0GHz) on my laptop (perhaps get it up to 1.2GHz?) but there seems to be no way to do it! Upon entering the BIOS menu, I can see the CPU info like speed, model, manufacturer, etc. but I cannot alter either the clock speed or the FSB speed (which isn't even listed!) and I understand that these are the two main settings involved with overclocking.

Also, according to the AIDA32 diagnostic I ran, the Current Clock of the CPU is 1000MHz whereas the Maximum Clock os 1333MHz, what gives?

Dell Latitude C400
Intel Pentium III M, 1.0GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Home SP2
BIOS Version A12 (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

They usually don't have overclocking options in laptops, since they are prebuilt in accordance with a specific thermal envelope.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

Most pre-built system from major companys have locked bios. My old Compaq had a locked bios.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Most pre-built system from major companys have locked bios.

Well that blows donkey feces! :thumbsup: But I guess it makes sense that a laptop has certain thermal issues like that. :flowers: Thanks anyhow. :trumpet:

#5 snoopy1alpha

snoopy1alpha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

I have the same laptop model (bought a used one at ebay).
My problem is, that someone (or something) has "underclocked" my Frontsidebus. I am looking for a solution to change the FSB back to 133 MHz (instead of 33 which it has at the moment).

I found two tools: softfsb and clockgen.

Both programs are able to adjust the FSB while running but I don't know the name of my PLL (the clock generator).

I played a bit with clockgen but without success. Theoretically the program is able to change the values stored in the PLL directly but I can't interpret them correctly.

Does anyone know which PLL is built into a latitude c400?
If anyone does, these programs (or one of them) can be used to solve my problem and to overclock the laptop if this is wished.

Thanks alot!

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

Inoticed my laptop running at less than top speed. It seems that the smart battery settingsin the BIOS can dynamically reduce the CPU clock (and the FSB clock, I think) based on need and power availability.

Try paging through the BIOS menus for your answer.

#7 snoopy1alpha

snoopy1alpha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

It is very kind of you that you try to help, but do you really think I did not check everything out that came into my mind?
The Bios shows me wrong values for the CPU speed and I tried various settings fpr speedstep. The only think speedstep (in this case) changes is the multiplier and not the FSB. I think only Nforce-Chipsets are able to manipulate the FSB for power management reasons.
The Latitude c400 has an Intel chipset.

BTW I know which PLL is built into the Latitude C400 (ICS 950805AF) but it is not compatible with softFSB and clockgen.

I will solve the problem by replacing the mainboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users