Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's heavy-handed Windows 10 tactics may be its undoing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

WE ARE NOW about nine months in to the Windows 10 era, and things are going great or not so great, depending on to whom you listen. Microsoft keeps touting ever growing numbers of active users of its latest operating system, which it claimed had passed 200 million by the start of this year.

Meanwhile, figures from market research firms such as IDC and Gartner appear to show that sales figures for PC systems have not shown the recovery that was predicted once Windows 10 was available.

This has been blamed partly on the fact that Microsoft has made Windows 10 available as a free upgrade for the first year following its release, meaning that people did not necessarily feel the need to buy a new system.

However, a steady stream of negative stories about Windows 10 may have coloured the perception of the platform among potential users, and could be discouraging many from taking up the free offer.

This could be worse for Microsoft than it first appears. It comes at a crucial time when Windows is arguably going to sink or swim, and the company cannot afford to take a misstep right now.

The danger for Microsoft is that there are perfectly good alternatives to Windows these days. Linux distributions such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint now offer an ease of use comparable with Windows, and many tech-savvy users, including yours truly, will be tempted simply to ditch Windows in favour of Linux because Windows 10 is starting to seem more trouble than it's worth.

And this could turn into a real problem for Microsoft if the next generation of techies grows up with more experience of using Linux than Windows

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

Heavy handed and stupid too.  1 billion Windows 10 devices in 2 to 3 years?  Which business makes their projections public?  Somebody's head is going to roll.

#3 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

Will the average, run of the mill user migrate from the familiar Microsoft operating systems to OSes like Linux?  I am new to Slackware Linux so am by no means an expert but it appears to be more user intensive as far as setting up new hardware.  Then there is the issue of familiar windows based programs might not work on a Linux system even with the assistance of Wine which leaves the end user, as an example, to learn Gimp when they are used to photoshop.

I have a couple old systems running XP but have found that I cannot load XP on machines with SATA drives (unless the machine allows modification in the BIOS set up which some HP and Compaq machines do not).  When I have come across XP installs with drivers for SATA installed I find that newer hardware will not work with an older OS.

That said I believe that while, in my opinion, anything newer than XP sucks the average user will stay with Microsoft because that is all they know.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,499 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Businesses also have untold billions of dollars, man hours, and institutional memory locked in to the various Windows releases, of which Windows 10 is a far more logical and seamless extension from Windows 7 than Windows 8 ever was.

All the talk about Windows users walking away and going to other OSes is just a bunch of wishful thinking on the part of a tech geek contingent that has never had a single good thing to say about Windows or Microsoft.  I can't think of a single one of my clients who'd be likely to take me up on the offer to convert their Windows machines to Linux (or any other OS) for free, were I to make that offer.  Mr. Meehan's observation regarding "that is all they know" is an incredibly powerful incentive to stay with Microsoft.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

That is one area of the article I don't agree with. I can't see linux overtaking Windows anytime in the future. I see Android as the OS that would overtake Windows if you count all devices connected to the internet.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

I can't see many businesses doing anything but staying on Windows 7 until close to 2020 when they'll have to worry about support.  And I agree that MS is going out of its way to irritate folks with the push to 10.  

Personally I'll keep 7 on my main desktop where I do all my finances including paying bills with Quicken.  I have 10 on my laptop because it came with 10 when I bought it 5 mos. ago, and I have 10 on two desktops.  I have a nice tablet with Android, and like it, but I've read too much about Android's lack of security to seriously put my financial stuff on it.  Tablets are great for portability, but if I'm going to do something serious, I want at least a 15" screen and a keyboard.  I have Linux Ubuntu and Mint on flash drives and discs, but there are still enough things that don't work with it (printers, scanners, Quicken, etc.).  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,499 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

I can't see many businesses migrating away from Windows, period, for the very reasons previously stated.  I've been "in" on discussions about major hardware, OS, and software switches in the past, and it takes a case a lot stronger than, "They've irritated the *&%^ out of me/us," to get all involved to green light any major changes.

As far as security goes, I think people are simply kidding themselves if they think that any OS is all that much more secure than another.  Most hacking of the malicious sort and virus writing has to do with being able to do the most damage to the most people before it's stopped whether that damage is crashing a system, stealing personal information, etc.  Linux is becoming targeted more because it has such a foothold in data center computing these days and Android because it's taking the mobile world by storm.  OS X and iOS have both had limited targeting because they're just not tempting targets in terms of size.  Android has multiple vendors who've written antivirus or security programs for it that work as well as anything on Windows does.

In the end, most infections of any kind on any OS involve operator naiveté through abject stupidity.  Virtually every infection I've ever encountered in my years of cleaning up this sort of thing has been the direct result of the user of the computer/device doing something that should have set off all sorts of red lights in their heads prior to even considering it.  A great many realize this mere milliseconds after having committed said stupid act, even before any major damage is done.  It's a matter of how soon they're willing to admit it and seek to undo whatever has been done that ultimately determines how much havoc ensues, whether that undoing is DIY or calling in professionals.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#8 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

MS of late has been trying to force me to upgrade to 10 from 7, pretty annoying.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Wh0, Post#8 Want help keeping your system with windows 7 and avoiding upgrade? See the links at the bottom of the post linked to below: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611138/how-to-kill-windows-10-installation/#entry3980375
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users