Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failure - Drive not mountable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 S4cro

S4cro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hello,

about a week ago i had a HDD failure and my question is: Is there a way to access the data on the HDD... but i will start from beginning:

Specs:

- Notebook from Packard Bell / i5 2450 / 8GB RAM / Nvidia GT 630M 2GB

- Win 10 Education N 64bit

- Toshiba HDD MK1059GSMP (look log for more information)

What happend?

- Got a "Kernel Data Inpage Error" - Bluescreen => I forced shutdown after one hour of "Gaining information (75%)"

- After restart "Starting automatic repair" (always for around 3 min) => A window opend and closed directly (only seen the frame of the window for some ms) => Just a black screen for hours

- Tried booting from Windows Installation USB => Took hours to first window (this is not normal i though...) => aborted the loading after hours

- Googled about the error => Came to the conclusion, that it could be problems with HDD or RAM

- Let run MEMTEST86 => After some hours test completed without errors

- Loaded parted magic from live cd (HDD Log attached below -> SMART short test failed with read errors and the rest is also not looking good!)

- Now i tried mounting the HDD with read only option in parted magic (had fastboot activated on windows) => failed

- Tried CloneZilla partclone to external HDD => failed ... partclone log said: Log into windows and run chkdsk... nice....

- Tried to "dd" the HDD to external HDD from Ubuntu live CD => Failed always at around 1 GB with read error

- Tried accessing HDD with a working windows over SATA to USB adapter => Mounting old "C:" failed, i only can access "system-reserved" partition.

Seems like my HDD is crashed fully, so i ordered a new SSD and now I'm back online an my notebook. Restored most important data from a backup, but there is still some data on HDD with i hadn't backuped, because I was on a travel for some weeks.

So is there a option to access the data or is my HDD just electronic waste?

Greetings from germany,

S4cro

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

The drive is in a state of failure. If you cannot use dd then the next step is a professional data recovery service. The cost is not cheap, $800 and up. Drivesavers is one of the better recovery services.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

#3 S4cro

S4cro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

The drive is in a state of failure. If you cannot use dd then the next step is a professional data recovery service. The cost is not cheap, $800 and up. Drivesavers is one of the better recovery services.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Thank you for your answer. I will think about it.

My last question is: What is the "normal" lifetime of HDDs? Have i more worry about the real "online"-time or the real age (since manufactured)?

The HDD was made on 23. Oct. 2011 and was only 162 days "online". Or it's just coincidence and it's better to check each HDD regularly with parted magic health disk or HDDScan?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

There is mean time between failures but a hard drive can fail at anytime. In my honest opinion drives today are not built like the ones years ago. There are basically only three drive manufactures left when talking about HDD and not SSD's. They are Seagate, Toshiba, and WD. 

My only advise is to buy one of the three manufacturers for the lowest price you can find for a new drive and use software like Macrium Free to create complete disk image backups to an external drive should the drive fail. You could then use the image on the external to restore your OS and programs using the bootable media created by Macrium.

#5 S4cro

S4cro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Ok, thank you for the hint with Macrium. I though about using Aomei Backupper Standard http://www.aomeitech.com/ab/standard.html because it supports incrementell backups and also provides a recovery CD.

Do you know this software suite? Are there any disadvantages in comparison to Marcrium?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Aoemi is also very good and does allow incremental and differential. If you do a clean install and you want to create a factory image after setting up the OS and programs look at Aoemi One Key. This is a good solution if the computer refuses to boot because of a file system or malware issue. It will not help with a bad drive though. Pressing a key a boot will take you to the Aoemi Recovery Screen. I have used it with success. It also allows you to update the image.

http://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

No matter which backup/restore program/utility you use -- Going forward, after your replacement hard-drive settles in, I recommend, weekly or bi-monthly, making two full images of your OS and data partitions onto at least one if not two usb external platter-driven hard-drives.

Meanwhile, on the original going-bad hard-drive, whatever you use to attempt data recovery, do not set, do not let, the program allow the hard-drive to: read bad sectors and reLocate bad-sector material to good sectors.  There are threads in hddguru forums about this.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 April 2016 - 12:53 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 S4cro

S4cro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for all the help. I'm performing weekly incremental backups with a old version of Ocster Backup, but Ashampoo bought the company and i don't trust Ashampoo. (Ocster support ends in a few months and software updates aren't provided any more). Therefore I'm thinking about to switch to Aomei. The One-Key feature is really nice! 

Edited by S4cro, 29 April 2016 - 01:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users