Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this Win 10 upgrade a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Yes that's a good move and really an obvious one which I didn't consider, oh dear! - and thanks too for that link.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

zzzz,

There are lots of articles out there on how to dual boot Windows 10 with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.  That can easily be done, and it can be done legally.

I could not tell whether you were asking about whether it was possible to dual boot your existing Windows 7 on one partition while having cloned that to another partition and upgrading to Windows 10 on that other partition.  That's not legal.  There are a number of articles on that, too, but this exchange on answers.microsoft.com spells it out.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#18 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

I write something here, go back to Page 1 to check something and when I return here the post is gone!

It says that it is auto saved but where is it? Help please.

Well suffice to say what do you think of that link Agouti gave in Post 15 I think, about a legal way to dual boot - I don't want to go back to check that number and lose this again.

Oh it doesn't say Auto saved this time! Very odd.

Edited by zzzz, 30 April 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#19 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

"but this exchange on answers.microsoft.com spells it out."  

Thanks for that. I haven't been thru all the pages of it but it is a pity that MS has not spelled out at the top of every relevant page that, if correct, "There is NO WAY to dual boot your Win 7/8/8.1 system with a free upgrade to Win 10." or if there is describe it.

Would save a lot of time for many, no?

#20 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

The offer is a "free upgrade", not a "free extra operating system", so it's pretty obvious to most that you don't get to have the original OS & the upgrade both installed at the same time (when you trade in a car against a new one the car dealer doesn't give you the old one back so that you can have both old & new cars on your driveway).

It is perfectly possible & legal to " dual boot your Window 7/8/8.1 system with a free upgrade to Windows 10" as long as you buy (and use) an extra licence for the Windows 7/8/8.1 part of your eventual installation.

Edited by rqt, 01 May 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#21 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

rqt:  That is very clear. If MS had been that clear particularly at the outset last July and subsequently then masses of blogs, forums, tutorials etc., etc. would not have appeared.

If you look at, among others, askvg.com , of whom until yesterday I had never heard but is well respected apparently, his method of Win 10 dual boot plus a myriad of comments, there is no mention of licenses and uses one's Win 7/8/8.1 OS and getting the free Win 10 OS together here  https://www.readability.com/articles/4cfyftma

MS must know of all these attempts but doesn't inform of the facts (unless vg is right!)

I read somewhere that one can do this dual boot  now but MS might rescind this option later - just a rumour I guess.

Edited by zzzz, 01 May 2016 - 05:57 AM.

#22 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for that. I haven't been thru all the pages of it but it is a pity that MS has not spelled out at the top of every relevant page that, if correct, "There is NO WAY to dual boot your Win 7/8/8.1 system with a free upgrade to Win 10." or if there is describe it.

Would save a lot of time for many, no?

zzzz,

You're welcome.  That being said, it would be inaccurate for Microsoft to put the disclaimer you suggest on any given page because, strictly speaking, it is absolutely not true.

They could say something like:

"If you wish to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 you must do one of the following:

1.  If you upgraded to Windows 10 from an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation you must buy a license for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 that will be used for dual booting.

2.  If you have not upgraded your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation, and do not wish to do so, you must buy a license for Windows 10 that will be used for dual booting."

Personally, I don't understand why this is as confusing a it has been.  For any individual user, under typical circumstances, you have a license to use a single copy of the OS installed on your machine.  Although the Windows 10 upgrade is new, it's no different than many upgrades that have been offered for many varieties of software sold by Microsoft and other vendors.   There has never been a case that I know of where taking advantage of an upgrade grants the person doing so the legal right to use the old software concurrently with the upgraded software.  You've simply traded your single-user license from one to the other as part of an upgrade offer.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#23 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

That's a good post.

I just had (of slow brain) an idea to accomplish my dual boot legally. I do the regular Win 10 upgrade from my valid Win 7 so invalidating it's further use.

Then from my very old Win 7 PC which I no longer use, of which I have the installation CD, I use that to install on my newer one.

Problem solved? Needs a call to MS to validate it, I think, yes?

#24 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

As long as it's a RETAIL copy of 7 on the old PC. If it's OEM (came with the computer), it's tied to the old machine and can't be used on any other one.

#25 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Well no, I bought the disk from a reputable computer company with a valid MS key to upgrade from XP and was pronounced genuine.  Will I be able to use that Win 7 disk do you think as it will be used on the new(ish) computer? This is why a call to MS to validate it might be necessary.

That old PC won't be used again unless I feel like putting Linux on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users