Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this Win 10 upgrade a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Instead of upgrading to Win 10 completely before the freebie July 2016 closes so as to keep using  Win 7 while updates to that continue, why not keep a Win 10 ISO handy and use that to install Win 10 at any time after July whenever one likes?

Will this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

No - you need to have installed & activated Windows 10 on your hardware before the offer expires (you can then immediately go back to Windows 7 if you like, as Windows 10 will subsequently reactivate on the same hardware motherboard any time you like)

Edited by rqt, 29 April 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

I agree but I would make a backup with Macrium or something similar.  Restoring a backup is much faster and surer than the roll back feature.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the responses.

rqt - you are saying that install and activate Win10 before July, then I can go back to Win 7 until 2020 or whenever it 'terminates' and then reactivate Win 10 freely - just to confirm it.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

Yes, that's my understanding and the way many sites on the internet has interpreted it.  It won't stop Microsoft from nagging you to death though.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

It's a simple matter, at least at the moment, to stop the nagging dead in its tracks with either Never10 or GWX Control Panel.   I have little doubt that at least one of those, if not both, will be maintained through the end of official support for Windows 7 at the very least.

I really don't see the point of upgrading to Windows 10 only to rollback or reinstall a prior system image with Windows 7.  If you don't want Windows 10 then why bother with it?  If you do want Windows 10, and have hardware that's fairly new and likely to still be with you in four years why not just upgrade?

People going to Windows 10 several years after its release will find, as people have with prior releases of Windows, that while the kinks have been worked out that there will not be a cohort of people who easily recall how to tweak this or that to make things as you like them because these sorts of things tend to go into the mists of memory pretty quickly after several years.  I have a mighty good memory, but I still have to look up stuff I told people a few months ago because there's so much information being exchanged by those of us who were genuinely early adopters.  That gets worse with time, and even more so because there have been some significant changes to certain elements of the Settings since last July, which have seem to have settled down now (which is a plus).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

I have divided my HDD into two partitions so as to have a dual boot Win7/10 which I think would be useful.

Since I have had the Win 10 upgrade icon in my system tray since last August I have never received any nags - lucky? But taking a look at it now it has gone! I did notice it only perhaps one week ago. What happened?  If it has gone from my system why hasn't MS nagged me to get it?

I have just checked the update KB3035583 and it is there. Now what?

Edited by zzzz, 29 April 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

I have divided my HDD into two partitions so as to have a dual boot Win7/10 which I think would be useful.

Since I have had the Win 10 upgrade icon in my system tray since last August I have never received any nags - lucky? But taking a look at it now it has gone! I did notice it only perhaps one week ago. What happened?  If it has gone from my system why hasn't MS nagged me to get it?

I have just checked the update KB3035583 and it is there. Now what?

The problem being that you can't dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, at least not legally, if the Windows 10 you're using is an upgrade from an existing Windows 7 system, unless you have a separate legal copy of Windows 7 to install.  Conversely, you could do it by purchasing a license for Windows 10 and install it, keeping your existing Windows 7 on its own partition.

It seems a number of people want to keep their existing Windows 7 and the Windows 10 upgrade from that Windows 7 (or the same for Windows 8), and this you cannot do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

Oh that is very enlightening - I had never before heard that and it will save me a lot of trouble trying to work out how to do the dual boot with the free upgrade - thanks. The dual boot seemed why not but it is not essential for me.

The lack of the Win 10 system tray icon seems not a problem as I have downloaded the Windows Creation Tool which appears to make the upgrade straightforward.

Thanks again for your info.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

First of all, I am not a lawyer but neither have I seen anything that says you can't install both Windows 7 and 10 on the same machine and dual boot.  That said, if you want to know how it can be done, have a look at this article... http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

First of all, I am not a lawyer but neither have I seen anything that says you can't install both Windows 7 and 10 on the same machine and dual boot.  That said, if you want to know how it can be done, have a look at this article... http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8

Read the proviso that follows what I said on dual boot, as that's the critical part.  

To repeat:  It is perfectly legal to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 if one has legal licenses for said operating systems.   You can't have legal license to your "old" Windows 7 that you used to upgrade to Windows 10.  If you did that you need to buy a second licensed copy of Windows 7.   If you don't upgrade your Windows 7, then you must by a licensed copy of Windows 10 in order to have both be legal on a dual boot machine.

There seems to be this misapprehension that one can keep one's old Win7 and the Win10 obtained by upgrade to that old Win7 and do so legally.  You can't.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

Agouti - that How to Geek link is exactly the one I have printed out to follow but now superfluous. Also unfortunately even if one has the reqd. licenses to perform the dual boot  it is very badly written, too confusing and unclear.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

I repeat, I am not a lawyer neither have I seen anything that says it's illegal.  I am just pointing out it can be done.  I don't find the article confusing either.

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

I don't find the article confusing either.

Did you just read it or actually try to do what it said?

It doesn't say a new license is required. The 3rd paragraph says'...you'll probably have to perform an upgrade first before you can clean install'. What does this mean? Where is this upgrade going to go? Won't this overwrite the Win 7? This info is never mentioned again. It says 'Download a Windows 10 ISO file and either burn it to a DVD or...'. No mention that this is not bootable, only that 'It should automatically boot into the Windows 10 installer.' Where is this installer?  And so on.

Edited by zzzz, 30 April 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

No, I haven't tried it.  But I think I understand why you are confused.  If I wanted to dual boot W7 and W10, I would upgrade W7 to W10 first, then install W7 on a new partition.

[Edit]

Here's another article that describes a different way of achieving the same thing.

Edited by Agouti, 30 April 2016 - 12:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users