Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive help and recommendation please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 illusion090

illusion090

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

Hi,
I found this forum through a google search, I'm looking for advice on what hard drive to buy, as the one on my lap top has given up on life. And I'm guessing there's no chance for it as when I start it up the lap top can't find the hard drive. I dont really know where to start, but I know buying one myself will be a lot cheaper than taking it to be fixed, and I'm hoping my limited knowledge will be enough to be able to change it over myself!

the lap top is this -

HP 15 Intel Core i3 8GB RAM

On the back it says - RHN: TPN-C125 INPUT:19.5V

(in case thats info thats needed.)

I was happy with the hard drive that it came with, except that it died obviously, it didnt exactly last long. I dont know if thats a one off type thing, but I'd just be happy with the same again if not.

Thanks in advance for any help you give :)

Edited by illusion090, 29 April 2016 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

If you are not comfortable tearing down a notebook then I would recommend you get the drive replaced at a good repair shop. I believe this is your manual.

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04439615.pdf

It used to be that changing a hard drive on a laptop was as simple as removing a panel on the bottom of the laptop and swapping a drive. Now most laptops are a chore to work on. 

To remove and replace your hard drive starts on page 59 with the removal of the keyboard, disconnecting multiple ribbon cables and removing the top panel to access the hard drive. You would need to purchase any 2.5 SATA hard drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 April 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#3 illusion090

illusion090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate  it. Maybe its best I take it to the repairs place then, I was trying my best to avoid the cost but I don't want to cause more damage by trying it myself.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

I watched a video where a notebook like yours had the hdd replaced.  With a tech who had this down pat it took over sixteen minutes.  There are little things that can make this go sideways, like breaking the clips that hold the ribbon cables together.  If you break one of the flimsy connectors you will be purchasing another motherboard.

The hdd in that notebook is a 750GB @ 5400 RPM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 illusion090

illusion090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

Definitely sounds like I should be taking it somewhere then, at least if they break it they'll have to cover it not me! I just haven't heard good things about the computer repair places here, and I know being an island they'll over charge. I think I'll try and get a quote from each.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users