Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB-Network adapter.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnPaulJones

JohnPaulJones

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:21 AM

Hello.

I have a laptop. It has an build-in wireless network receiver, and then i have an USB wireless receiver as well. I has worked like a charm for years, switching between those two receivers when i need to. I has helped me trouble shoot and sometimes i needed to use the USB adapter for gaming and such. The problem is, recently the USB-receiver can not connect to the wireless network. It says, down in the popup menu, that: "The security information of the router does not corresponds with the information saved on the computer" or something similar. I have tried everything. I hope someone knows a tricky way to reset the whole thing or something. The security info does corrosponds. That is the weird thing. IM running windows 7

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

Try removing the wireless network and reconnecting afresh.

#3 JohnPaulJones

JohnPaulJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Uuh i have tried that so many many times, haha. In the popup menu in Windows it keeps on saying the Security type is set to WEP even though i keep deleteing it and setting it up as WPA2. I have even tried connecting to the wifi with the USB-adapter from other computers in my house, and there is no problem...

#4 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

I would search for the SSID name in registry and delete it. Don't forget to perform a complete backup of your registry. And be double careful when you're in registry.

(It should exist probably here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles)

(Try this only when the problem isn't fixed other way.)

UPDATE: You have to delete the folder including SSID name in the left pane, not only the SSID name in it. Sorry if I'm late. Like in the picture below:

Attached File  Delete-Wi-Fi-Network-Profiles.png   122.01KB   0 downloads

Edited by devilus, 29 April 2016 - 09:12 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Another thing you may want to try. If the USB dongle was plug and play the drivers were automatically installed. Download USBdeview and run it. With the dongle not attached run USB deview. Look for you USB dongle and highlight it. Select Remove. Reboot and reattach the dongle.

Edit: If that does not work, attach the dongle and right click it in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 April 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#6 JohnPaulJones

JohnPaulJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hello. thanks for the replies. I have tried it all, still no breaktrough. The ID's:USB\VID_07D1&PID_3C0A&REV_0101

It is getting on my nerves : p

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

Sorry I missed your post yesterday. 

The vendor and device ID point to a Dlink DWA-140. Go here for your driver. Pick your version either A or B and download the driver for Windows 7.

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-140

#8 dlaxtn2

dlaxtn2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Hello have you tried this;  From the error you are getting sounds like a wireless profile issue please got to start and type network and sharing center then open that once inside look to the left hand side where it says manage wireless networks and click there.  Next look for the SSID giving the issue and remove it.  Now try to reconnect to that network re-enter your password and it should reconnect.  Hope this is helpful :grinner:

#9 dlaxtn2

dlaxtn2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

Sorry didn't realize that was already suggested so scratch that.

#10 dlaxtn2

dlaxtn2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Have you tried running windows update I ran across a post in seven forums where someone had the same issue with that dlink device and it was fixed with a windows update.

#11 JohnPaulJones

JohnPaulJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hello. Thanks for the replies. I went to the regedit and went nuts. I deleted all i could find related to this adapter. I believe i managed to delete something related to the driver or so. This left the adapter totally out of order. I then reinstalled the driver i had on a CD, which had failed all previous atempts. I made sure to install it to a different place on the HDD. This actually worked.

#12 dlaxtn2

dlaxtn2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Awesome  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users