Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GreenTree24

GreenTree24

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:50 AM

OK, still recovering from major crash.  Seemed to have started with malware then virus then freezes & crashes.  Finally took HP p6232p Desktop to The GeekSquad at Best Buy and they reinstalled OS as my attempts failed.  Computer freezes & crashes again so take it back to TGS and they reinstalled again and all is well now except I have no sound.  Backing up a bit, at some point in all this i experienced also some electrical problems and did blow out my keyboard, but forgot to tell the geeks about possible sound (since I now know it's not the speakers because they worked on another PC). 

So, i bought & installed a new soundcard and when startup showed recognition of new hardware and installed appropriate drivers, but still no sound.  Diagnostics says speakers are not plugged in but they are.  No luck w/ HP diagnostics.  I did the one time $99.99 service plan with TGS and so don't think they will offer e-mail support unless i open a new job, but not sure on this.  

I am clueless at this point ???   Any help appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 April 2016 - 09:32 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

Simple questions: Are the speakers plugged into the sound card?

Did the sound card have a drivers cd? If so, did you install drivers from the cd?

Sound card seated firmly in the slot?

You may or may not be surprised by the number of people who install a sound card and then plug the speakers into the motherboard sound port. Or they forget to turn the speakers on, don't plug them into the electrical outlet, find out the speaker volume is not turned up or plug into the wrong sound card port.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 April 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

The following will require Administrator permission, you may be requested to provide your password.  If you have one enter it.  If you don't use one press Enter.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then click on Control Panel.

When the Control Panel opens type troubleshooter in the Search Control Panel box, then click on Troubleshooting.

Under Hardware and Sound click on Troubleshoot audio playback

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 GreenTree24

GreenTree24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

Arachibutyrophobia:  I tried this and windows detected that my speakers were no plugged in.  

Queen-Evie:  Yes I initially put the pink & green plugs into the original ports but soon found this and put them in the ports for my new sound card but still no sound.  The install driver CD said "Cannot find audio chip:  Our audio chip provides multispeaker surround and realistic sound effects, due to the fact that your computer is not equipped with our audio chip, you cannot avail yourself to these advanced features.  For more information please contact your computer dealer.  Electronics Media Inc."  www.cmedia.com.tw     My original software is Realtech and i tried their test at different settings and none worked.  My speakers are Altech Lansing.  There is only one out plug for these so i got a Radioshack spliter with green & pink plugs.  The speakers also have a USB out.  Thanks for your time & replies.  I sure wish I had TGS guys check this out last week, but am glad to be functioning at least in most part again  :mellow: 

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

Keep the trouble shooting simple.  Skip the splitter and use just the green jack and plugs.  Pink is the microphone.  If the BIOS recognizes the sound card, then a hardware option or default setting needs to be checked out.  Some machines have a one key pop up control panel for sound and display options.

#6 GreenTree24

GreenTree24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

OK, tossed the splutter as well as the powered multi USB devise but still no sound.  I went to device mgr and says Realtek HD audio drivers are OK and no drivers needed updated and the devise is working properly.  do not know about hardware option or default settings ??  TGS did diagnostics on hardware and got W& reinstalled OK the last service but still no sound.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Let's take the Realtek out of the equation for now, since you also have sound card.

Go to this page and find your sound card model number.
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/EN/DownloadCenter_Detail2/Serno-118/pserno-0/dtype-ALL.html

Download the driver and see if it will install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users