Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Partial Failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:40 AM

Just today I was forced to uninstall Office 2016 because it stopped functioning properly and Microsoft recommended that I reinstall it. After uninstalling, I had to restart, but nearly 10 minutes after hitting the restart button the computer still had not shut down. I held the power button to turn it off, but now when I try to boot it simply displays the windows logo and the circling orbs loading icon, and then disappears, refusing any of my input past this point.

The reason I say it's a partial failure is because the computer still connects to the Bluetooth speaker that it does normally (the speakers beep to confirm this) and the screen off timeout still works (when left alone for a couple minutes, the black screen turns off, and goes back to black if I press any keys). I'm extremely confused, and my recovery disc is completely useless, as none of the options it gives me work, including the command prompt sfc command!

Can someone please help? I'm lost here x(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Have you tried booting into Sate Mode?

Is there any beep code error on startup?

Edited by Wolverine 7, 29 April 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#3 theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

I have tried booting into safe mode; the same happens as when I try to normal boot; black screen, then nothing aside from the screen timing out unless I move the mouse.

There is also no beeping that happens when the computer starts. :(

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Ok,do you have Install or Recovery disk?

Also,do you have unbacked up data on the computer?

Edited by Wolverine 7, 30 April 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#5 theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

I have a recovery USB drive that I made using a friend's computer, but none of the options work aside from reset PC (which I didn't try; I'm not sure how much it'll erase and windows is very vague about that).

I have backups, but they were last made almost six months ago, so I really don't want to resort to them :-(

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

Ok understood,i think we need to get those files of before we go any  further,

If you reset rather than refresh you will lose your personal files.

Since the options in your recovery drive are,nt working properly,could you plug in to another computer and get your files off that way?

#7 theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Possibly. I was worried about that, the options for the reset made it seem like that.

Are there any software you could recommend to get my programs and settings off of the old drive? I know just dragging and dropping doesn't usually keep the settings likey they should be... I usually use AOMEI backupper for my backup solutions, is there an option of that that would copy programs and settings but not the Windows system files?

Edited by theColeHardTruth, 30 April 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#8 theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

<p>Okay, I was worried about that. The &quot;Go back to previous build&quot; recovery option gave me hope that it wouldn't erase all my files, but I was skeptical...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>That's possible, is there any software you could recommend to get my programs and settings off of the old drive? I know just dragging and dropping doesn't usually keep the settings likey they should be... I usually use AOMEI backupper for my backup solutions, is there an option of that that would copy programs and settings but not the Windows system files?</p>

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

Well the Refresh woul,dnt erase your personal files but the Reset would..since we cant access any options we don,t have much choice but to copy the files to another computer.

Also,we need to hope you don,t have hardware problems,particularly  with the hard-rive.

Not sure about software in this case cos ive never personally had this issue..I think your best bet is to plug into another computer,copy your files over directly  and then troubleshoot from there  if you can.

See if you can get access to another systems hard drive and do it that way,if not i.ll PM one of the Advanced Tech,s on Bleeping  and get a better review of your options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users