Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Off Everything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klarinette

klarinette

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:32 AM

I got a new computer for college, and now my dad wants the one I used to use... he wants me to take everything off (pictures, downloads) and wants only the things that came with the computer or came on a cd with the computer (Dell Dimension 8200 Windows XP) Should I just delete my account and be done with it, or is there something else i should do that will be more effective? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:49 AM

Did you get a Restore cd or a Windows XP cd with the computer?

If you got a Restore cd or have a Restore partition on the hard drive (look at your screen when the computer starts up before Windows begins to start), you can restore the computer to exactly the way it was when it was new.

If you got a Windows installation cd you can format the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.

Deleting your profile does not remove any data or additional aps from the computer, although it might make them harder to access.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

If you want to remove data because you are afraid someone will retrieve the data or you have virus' on that computer you may want to consider a wipe instead of a standard format. This is time consuming, but nothing survives the process. It is not nessecary if you are not having problem and you do not have any data you feel will be stolen, credit card #, bank account info, ...

Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users