Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Load Balancing WiFi adapters?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

So I guess I will just start from the beginning and maybe this will make sense. I'm not really sure how to word this so here it gose.

Could I use say usb wireless adapters to create almost a raid like setup to use the Internet? Next year I will be living in a dorm that only has wifi that averages around 2 mbps and constantly drops. If I use the wired connection in the dorm I live in now I can get between 30 and 40. I know that all the traffic on campus gose through one building so the bottleneck is not the building it's the wifi it's self. I have plenty of hardware available from about 20 dell optiplex 280s, 10 netgear n600 wireless adapters, a desktop I built a few years back with an i7 and 16 gb of ram, and a ton of routers and switchs. Any thoughts on what software I could use to accomplish this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Load balancing?  Raid setup?  Come again?  What are you trying to achieve?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

First of all Raid is for Storage devices, Second what your looking for is called NIC teaming and you need a network switch on the other end that supports NIC teaming. Third, During Load balancing using NIC teaming the session is specific, so file transfers etc. would still only use one connection. NIC teaming is primarily for Network backbone connections and Servers that communicate with several hosts.  

Edited: Wording. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 May 2016 - 08:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

I am also not aware of any wifi teaming setups.  But this doesn't matter.  Problem here is concepts.  What is missing is you can't build a great 100mph onramp to a 25mph speed zone and expect to go faster than 25mph

#5 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Sorry for the late response some personal things came up. I wasn't really looking for speed in a sense. More just the amount of stuff I can get. I know raids share there data across multiple hard drives and that's what makes them so much faster. So I thought I would try to apply the same concept here. Hard drives and only read so fast and so if you share the work over multiple drives it becomes much faster. So if nic teaming is used in large networks could I just carry over that concept to a smaller scale? Say the schools network acted like an isp. Each isp connection can only hand so much and that's why they use nic teaming. Could I just do the same thing inside the network? Or dose the network I'm connecting to have to have it setup on there end? Just a thought what if to duplicate nic teaming without the setup could I have multiple connections to an outside machine? Say I would split the connection up into pieces on one end and put them back together on another like a rope and each straind is weak on its own but together they are strong.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

Again concepts:

"I wasn't really looking for speed... More just the amount of stuff I can get."

Bandwidth is how wide the freeway is.  Speed from point a to point b is determined by how many lanes on the freeway are free for you to use.  Fewer free equals less bandwidth/speed.

Nothing you can do will improve the wifi above 2mbps.  There is nothing teaming can do for you nor are you in an environment that supports it. So forget that. Don't think you can use two wired connections and get better performance.  Doesn't work that way with both being on the same source. Forget complicated and follow the KISS principle.

Get a wifi router and connect it to a wired connection.  End of story.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

Assuming such a thing is possible, have you asked the school if they would be happy with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users