Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Tried Comodo Personal Firewall 2.1?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:01 AM

I am searching for a firewall after reading that widows xp only stops incoming but not outgoing packets. I am using xp firewall at the moment. I have read the pinned posts and was on my way to download Kerio or Sygate but I came across Comodo. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

By Neil J. Rubenking 05.30.06

Last summer, PC Magazine rounded up free personal firewall products from Agnitum, Kerio, Sygate, and Zone Labs. (Symantec has since purchased Sygate and pulled it from the market; Sunbelt has purchased and rebranded the Kerio product.) They all did a decent job, though none was up to the standard of the best for-pay personal firewalls. Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 brings excitement back to the free-firewall category with a spiffy interface and impressive performance.

Complete PCMAG.COM Review

Just some information you may or may not have seen. Best of luck in your search for the right product.

Be (Hounds at the gates) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the link Animal. I read the review. It sound fantastic. I'm going to give it a try. Today I see circuit city is selling CA Internet Security Suite for free with 2 mfg. rebates and I was maybe thinking of trying that. Also, Best Buy is selling Norton Internet Security Suite and System Works 2006 for $20 with 2 rebates. The non-free stuff all seem to be on sale this week. Thanks again. :flowers:

#4 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

I tried comodo and I can open my home page but practically nothing else. I can't even go to hotmail.com past the sign in page to get my free license from comodo to paste into the program. I have played with it and have asked for support from comodo. Comodo ran a few popups that I allowed and then the popups stopped and so did my internet connection. I already read the help section and played with the settings to no avail. I disabled xp firewall before installing comodo and I know I have a hardware firewall on my gateway that I do not want to disable. I am waiting for a reply from comodo. The firewall settings page look like I would need to do another 20 posts on BC in order to figure out what it all does. I tried to disable as much as I could without alllowing everything to pass thru. IE gets my a sign in page at hotmail.com and I can't even get that using firefox.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

I think I would flush the Comodo rather than spend any more time on it. Zone Alarm is an excellent free firewall. Just remember to disconnect from the internet while uninstalling and reenable Windows firewall while downloading ZA. Once downloaded, and during installation ZA will disable Windows firewall.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

Soon, I will be conducting testing on various freeware firewalls; Comodo will be one of them. Should problems, such as yours occur, then the firewall's overall rating will be penalized at my, fair, discretion. As buddy said though, ZA Free is the best freeware fireall out there in my opinion. It delivers outstanding protection for outgoing and incoming connections that matches even the best paid firewalls out in the market today.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#7 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Thankyou Elendil and Buddy215.

0 user(s) are reading this topic