Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cortana Web searches will only open Edge and Bing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

Cortana Web searches in Windows 10 will now only be able to open Edge and Bing

Windows 10 will still let you pick a default browser that isn't Edge, and even if you use Edge or Internet Explorer, it will continue to let you pick a default search engine other than Bing. But in a change which goes into effect today, Web searches that use the Cortana-driven search box in the Windows 10 taskbar will no longer give you any choice: they will always open in Bing, and they will always use Edge to do so.

Greets!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

Well, this change has definitely made its way to my computer.  I don't use the "personal digital assistant" part of Cortana and have not done so since day one, and that includes when I was actively participating in the insider program.

I have a "testing account" set up on my computer where I'd set my default browser to Firefox and search engine to DuckDuckGo and up until checking this evening my Cortana searches on that testing account have brought up Firefox and used DuckDuckGo.  I had also tested out Google Chrome with the Chrometana extension and that had been working, too.  However, since Firefox has stopped being invoked I'm sure Chrome has, too.

I think Microsoft is in for a rude awakening on this one, potentially legal.  It seems that they don't learn from history that while setting something like this up as the default is fine, enforcing it is not.  I see regulators in a number of venues not being happy, and taking the actions necessary to "persuade" Microsoft to undo this particular piece of work.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

More here. Includes a response from Microsoft. I still think it's Microsoft's intention to eventually lock down the OS.

Microsoft made a statement about the move on the Windows Experience blog, but also sent a copy to the INQUIRER last night before we had a chance to write anything grumpy.

"Cortana was designed to work with Microsoft Edge and is powered by Bing. This integration is what enables Windows 10 to anticipate your needs, help you complete tasks, and even help you save time and money. Examples of this are Coupons in Edge and location search scenarios in the Cortana box," the firm said.

OK so far.

"Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and use, we are seeing some software programs circumvent the intended design of Windows 10 and redirect in ways that were never intended. Cortana was built and designed to use Bing and this was not designed to be something that could be swapped in or out."

Uh-oh.

"To protect this end-to-end customer experience we are making a change that you will begin to see today. This change is consistent with how others in this space operate. Siri is an end-to-end experience as well and does not allow changes in the search provider. This is also the same experience in Apple’s Spotlight, Google Now and Amazon’s Echo with Alexa."

There it is.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 April 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

That's just the kind of thing that worries about Microsoft's intent with Windows 10.  In the latest insider builds (14328 & 14332), you can no longer disable Cortana.  You can hide it, but you no longer have the option to turn it off.  It seems that they're pushing so hard to get everyone on 10 so they have more leverage for heavy handed tactics.  Maybe we need to sic the likes of Janet Reno on them again!  :bananas:

Edited by Niweg, 29 April 2016 - 02:07 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Niweg,

I'd like more detail, perhaps a screen shot of the Cortana and search settings from the Insider Preview, to understand what you're saying.

In the home version you can still turn the "personal assistant" function of Cortana off like you always could.  The settings still remain unchanged.  You've never been able to turn the Cortana process of because it's what used to be called "Windows Search" when all the Cortana Personal Assistant bells and whistles are turned off.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users