Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keeping DropBox & Other Cloud Apps, files updated

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Keeping DropBox updated is sorta confusing to me....I keep most all of my Documents backed up on DropBox.The way I have been doing it is...I delete all the contents and then copy files (Documents) to the clean DropBox folder. Some of these files are changed quite frequently. I don`t know if they might update accordingly to changes made or not. I understand adding files to dropbox folder, but I want them added to the correct folder in D.B.What I sure would sure appreciate is someone telling exactly how updating is supposed to be accomplished correctly. I don`t seem to comprehend fully the tutorials I read....Thanks for any and all advice...Jim

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

There is no need to manually keep items in your Dropbox up to date.  You can keep things in sync by installing the Dropbox client.  When you install the client, a Dropbox folder will be created under your user account.  Anything you put in that folder is automatically synced with your Dropbox.  A Dropbox icon will also appear in you system tray.  Clicking that icon allows you to perform various actions, including opening your Dropbox folder.  A shortcut icon will also appear in the left (navigation) pane of Explorer from which you can easily get to your Dropbox folder as well...

1461935957.png

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Within that master Dropbox folder on the hard-drive, can an end-user create folders within?  Later, add and delete folders?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

Within that master Dropbox folder on the hard-drive, can an end-user create folders within?  Later, add and delete folders?

Yes and yes.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

Ahhh, very good!  If the end-user "trains" data producing programs to save anything/everything within that master Dropbox folder, and within the appropriate sub-folder[s] -- there will be no need to have copies all over the hard-drive.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

Thanks,,,That clears things up. I just have to remember to treat DropBox same as My

Docs....Much appreciated...Jim

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

Ahhh, very good!  If the end-user "trains" data producing programs to save anything/everything within that master Dropbox folder, and within the appropriate sub-folder[s] -- there will be no need to have copies all over the hard-drive.guilty of multiple copies myself...I can see clearly noy...Thanks...jim

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

You're welcome.  I use Dropbox to store my KeePass database, Thunderbird/Lightning calendars and office templates.  IMHO, Dropbox's syncing ability is unmatched among cloud storage providers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users