Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD upgrading problem.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Artsu

Artsu

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

I want to add an 250gb ssd to my pc, and i want to putt most of my data to my ssd (except pictures and such). The problem is that i dont have anything to boot the ssd with. I dont have the disc, so am i supposed to put my windows files into a memory stick/ dvd-r and then try to boot with that, and if so what files am i supposed to put in to the memory stick/ dvd-r?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

i dont have anything to boot the ssd with

Open your case and connect the SSD using the extra cables inside (I assume you have a desktop, not a laptop). When you boot your computer normally you will see the SSD in Explore, then drag & drop your files onto it. You will have to format it with NTFS first.

Now....if I misunderstand and you want to make the SSD your main drive and install Windows on it, that is a different matter. Post back.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

If you are trying to move a Windows install from a hard drive to an SSD...the simple thing to do would be to just clone the hard drive to the SSD.

Louis

#4 Artsu

Artsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

i dont have anything to boot the ssd with

Open your case and connect the SSD using the extra cables inside (I assume you have a desktop, not a laptop). When you boot your computer normally you will see the SSD in Explore, then drag & drop your files onto it. You will have to format it with NTFS first.

Now....if I misunderstand and you want to make the SSD your main drive and install Windows on it, that is a different matter. Post back.

i am thinking of making the ssd my main drive, and have the ssd as my secondary drive.

If you are trying to move a Windows install from a hard drive to an SSD...the simple thing to do would be to just clone the hard drive to the SSD.

Louis

and is there an easy way of doing this??

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

Sure...there are tons of programs that will clone a drive/partition.

Moving topic to more appropriate forum for more info on such.

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

i am thinking of making the ssd my main drive, and have the ssd as my secondary drive

I assume that you mean make your SSD your operating system drive, and your HDD (originally your OS drive) as a data storage drive. Correct?

The easiest way is to create an image of your main drive which I assume is on a HDD (Hard Disk Drive), then re-image it onto your new SSD. In doing this you will also create a backup of your system and data (which you should be doing anyway) so you kill two birds with one stone.

Two things you will need to do:

> make sure that your new SSD is at the very least the same size as your current HDD drive. Not smaller, or you will not have enough space.

> You will need enough space on your HDD to save the image created. OR the best idea is to have an external drive that you can save your backup images to.

Use Macrium Reflect to create the backup image. On first use MR will prompt you to create an emergency restore disk. Be sure to do it, do not skip this step.

After the image is created, restore it to your new SSD. Boot up and make sure everything is there. Then you can wipe your old HDD and move your data to it. If you wish, you can use this drive as your backup drive also for future backups.

Done.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Artsu

Artsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:45 AM

So I'm going to plug the ssd into my computer with my HDD. Going to open the computer normally and then clone the HDD into the ssd with some programme. Then I'm going to restart my computer and go to the BIOS and set the boot drive to be my ssd

Is this right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users