Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else think the whole win10 privacy thing is overblown?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

Fact: all so-called spying features on win10 can be introduced on other systems via windows update.
Fact: most "spying" is anonymous statistics, not stuff that can be used for serving targeted ads (compare this to gmail and facebook)
Fact: most "spying" can be disabled if the user so wishes.

Conclusion: (dare I say it) Maybe all this fear about win10 spying is a little overhyped?

NOTE: I understand a lot of controversy over win10 is due to glitches rather than paranoia. I'm just trying to address the paranoia - I will not attempt to address the glitches.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

I wish I was important enough to be considered worthy of being spied upon!

-- Roland Dangerfield

ScathEnfys - yeah, I think too much hype and hyperbole.  However, because of technical difficulties within my Windows 7 Pro, I have a batchfile I click at the beginning of each Windows session to turn off Windows Updates, until after my next round of external HD backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

I have not installed Windows 10 not only because posts on various sites about the privacy issue but because I am of the opinion that all post XP releases are garbage.  Unfortunately technology keeps moving forward and a lot of the newer hardware and software will not run under XP.

I am concerned enough about the security issues I have read regarding Windows 10 that I am teaching myself Linux (Slackware 14).  Apparently, based on what I have read, Linux systems are far more secure than Windows systems.

My current systems (please don't laugh):

Notebook running XP

Notebook running 7 set up for dual boot to Slackware Linux.

Desktop running XP

Desktop running 98SE

Not used but still available for use:

XT clone running DOS 5

Timex-Sinclair 1000 w/ 16K memory expansion module and thermal printer (no paper).

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

I understand that Microsoft likes telemetry to improve the product or target ads much like Google does with Android but at the same time Microsoft allows enterprises to turn off telemetry completely. I think the ability to turn off telemetry completely should also be allowed for retail customers. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 April 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#5 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

How does Slackware compare with Linux Mint and other Linux distros?

I gather that some Linux distros (such as Linux Mint and Puppy Linux) are easy to set up and easier to use than others while others (like Arch Linux and Gentoo) are harder to set up but are easy to use work well once up and running.

I have not installed Windows 10 not only because posts on various sites about the privacy issue but because I am of the opinion that all post XP releases are garbage.  Unfortunately technology keeps moving forward and a lot of the newer hardware and software will not run under XP.

I am concerned enough about the security issues I have read regarding Windows 10 that I am teaching myself Linux (Slackware 14).  Apparently, based on what I have read, Linux systems are far more secure than Windows systems.

Notebook running XP

Desktop running XP

Desktop running 98SE

XT clone running DOS 5

Timex-Sinclair 1000 w/ 16K memory expansion module and thermal printer (no paper).

Edited by Castle Robin, 28 April 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

I understand that Microsoft likes telemetry to improve the product or target ads much like Google does with Android but at the same time Microsoft allows enterprises to turn off telemetry completely. I think the ability to turn off telemetry completely should also be allowed for retail customers. 

Exactly!  Microsoft is afraid that enterprise customers can tell them No and they will have to swallow it but the poor little people don't get a say.  NO Microsoft, that is not the way things work. :nono:

#7 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

How does Slackware compare with Linux Mint and other Linux distros?

I gather that some Linux distros (such as Linux Mint and Puppy Linux) are easy to set up and easier to use than others while others (like Arch Linux and Gentoo) are harder to set up but are easy to use work well once up and running.

Notebook running XP

Desktop running XP

Desktop running 98SE

XT clone running DOS 5

I cannot give an informed response.  I am just learning Slackware Linux and the only other Linux experience I have had has been playing around with Puppy Linux.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Exactly!  Microsoft is afraid that enterprise customers can tell them No and they will have to swallow it but the poor little people don't get a say.  NO Microsoft, that is not the way things work. :nono:
You can block all connections to their telemetry servers for the same effect. There are plenty of their party sites that keep known lists, and some tools that will automatically block them for you.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

You can block all connections to their telemetry servers for the same effect. There are plenty of their party sites that keep known lists, and some tools that will automatically block them for you.

And why not just a simple switch instead of having to resort to third party tools and workarounds?

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

Ultimately, it's Microsoft's product, and while I don't always agree with what they do (because it causes issues for me), I am happy for them that make their product the way they want it.

@ScathEnfys

Fact: all so-called spying features on win10 can be introduced on other systems via windows update.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612462/anyone-else-think-the-whole-win10-privacy-thing-is-overblown/#entry3988868

That doesn't make it okay.

not stuff that can be used for serving targeted ads (compare this to gmail and facebook)
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612462/anyone-else-think-the-whole-win10-privacy-thing-is-overblown/#entry3988868

Being good by comparison isn't something to take pride in, being good is.

Fact: most "spying" is anonymous statistics

That doesn't mean it's information the user wants to share.

There's that word again, "most".

I understand a lot of controversy over win10 is due to glitches rather than paranoia. I'm just trying to address the paranoia - I will not attempt to address the glitches.

From what I've seen there are two types of people against Microsoft's data collection: Type A (referred to as the paranoid ones) are concerned that they have to take Microsoft's word about what is being collected; given how vague Microsft can be at times it's not suprising to me that some people have trust issues. Type B (referred to as the control freaks) aren't actually concerned about the information that is being collected, they are just upset that data is being collected, and they get no say in the matter; they like to be in control of their machine.

Personally I fall into that second category. I'm a control freak. My firewall blocks all this telemtry crap (I think). Honestly, I'm actually not apposed to giving some info about my computer to Microsoft to help out. I'm mostly just blocking it out of spite (not that Microsoft will notice, unless they really are spying on me :P). That said, I do have a paranoid side. Microsoft, may want an inch now, but 10 years from now I wouldn't be suprised if they want a mile. While I don't think Microsft is currently collecting anything I wouldn't be okay with them having, I'm more than happy to let paranoia sweep over everyone, because their outrage might make this whole forced data collection thing easier to nip in the bud, and I'm all for that.

Conclusion: (dare I say it) Maybe all this fear about win10 spying is a little overhyped?

I agree, based on the knowledge I have at the present time. :)

@johnmeehan

Notebook running XP
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612462/anyone-else-think-the-whole-win10-privacy-thing-is-overblown/#entry3988883

Ah, another XP user! :) My main machine runs Windows 10, but I also have an old notebook with XP.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

@hollowface
I'm also a bit of a control freak, but the fact that I can block the stuff (even with a workaround) is enough for me. I agree with your comments on my points, but I see that we came to the same conclusion.

#12 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Fact: all so-called spying features on win10 can be are being introduced on other systems via windows update.

Agreed, updates is all you need!

Fact: most "spying" is anonymous statistics, not stuff that can be used for serving targeted ads (compare this to gmail and facebook)

I disagree... Anonymous data does not exists, combine enough anonymous data and it's not anonymous anymore...

And since it's https (encrypted), who really knows what it is? It's a question of trust, trust in M$ and Partners!

Don't know what GMail or Facebook have to do with it since they're on "the internet" and Windows 10 is your OS... Although using their apps instead of using a browser brings the two closer!

Agreed but "most" is not enough and "all" is pretty hard/much work and will render most new W10 features useless!

And the next mandatory update/upgrade can and will revert some of your (privacy) changes...

Why fight your own OS?

It has (for me) nothing to do with fear or hype, just do your own research, read up on it and draw your own conclusions!

I had W10 for approx. 9 months (Insider + RTM), did my research and aborted the baby!  :)

hollowface: Definitely Type B over here!

Greets!

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

I agree with the OP 100%.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

My single telemetry switch on Ubuntu. I wish there was only one on Windows 10

VbUsS.jpg

#15 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

I cannot give an informed response.  I am just learning Slackware Linux and the only other Linux experience I have had has been playing around with Puppy Linux.

I’ve since found these Slackware Linux links which demonstrate the distro further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdwZylEQcQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nScnmngQDX4

Fact: all so-called spying features on win10 can be are being introduced on other systems via windows update.

Agreed, updates is all you need!

I disagree... Anonymous data does not exists, combine enough anonymous data and it's not anonymous anymore...

And since it's https (encrypted), who really knows what it is? It's a question of trust, trust in M$ and Partners!

Don't know what GMail or Facebook have to do with it since they're on "the internet" and Windows 10 is your OS... Although using their apps instead of using a browser brings the two closer!

Agreed but "most" is not enough and "all" is pretty hard/much work and will render most new W10 features useless!

And the next mandatory update/upgrade can and will revert some of your (privacy) changes...

Why fight your own OS?

It has (for me) nothing to do with fear or hype, just do your own research, read up on it and draw your own conclusions!

I had W10 for approx. 9 months (Insider + RTM), did my research and aborted the baby!  :)

hollowface: Definitely Type B over here!

Greets!

Among other aspects, it would be far better if Windows 10 left the majority of settings switched Off (not On) by default instead of leaving users to trawl through endless menus and the registry to turn off functions that Microsoft has opted users into, only to be reverted back to Microsoft’s choice of settings upon new updates.  Users shouldn’t have to forever jump through hoops to run their own operating system to the way they want to run it.

For those who use or plan to use Windows 10, updates are automatic.  For Windows 7 and 8.1 users who have unwittingly installed Windows 10 preparation files via Automatic updates, “Let me choose whether to install” or “Never check for updates” (both allowing updates to be installed manually) are alternatives that allow the user to have full control of which updates are relevant to the User’s preferences.

I’ve always wondered about the so-called ‘anonymous’ data that Microsoft and other companies state is anonymous.  Whichever company in question, we only have their word for it that the data is anonymous and won’t compromise privacy.  Enterprise users are given biased preference where data control is concerned but level of control should apply to all versions of 10.

My single telemetry switch on Ubuntu. I wish there was only one on Windows 10

VbUsS.jpg

The single Ubuntu switch is a much more practical and simplified method as opposed to trawling through Windows 10's countless menus to turn off numerous privacy intrusive telemetry defaulted On whereas the other type of telemetry which maintains the smooth running of an operating system (which does not snoop on people's privacy) is useful and non-intrusive.

I believe that Ubuntu’s switch stays off once switched off and came about after Unity 8 became the first version of Ubuntu to drop “Amazon Search”:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2840401/ubuntus-unity-8-desktop-removes-the-amazon-search-spyware.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/126995/how-to-disable-the-amazon-search-ads-in-ubuntus-unity-dash/

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/

Edited by Castle Robin, 03 May 2016 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users